Derailer Jockey Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

139NI

Recently, it has been pointed out to me that my jockey wheels are worn and the contact surfaces look very pointed rather than when they were new.

Can anyone please tell me what are the consequences [if any] of continuing to use jockey wheels which are worn out.

At the moment they appear to work well so i have not changed them. What other factors other than appearance should i consider when deciding to change them?

Thanks

w

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Recently, it has been pointed out to me that my jockey wheels are worn and the contact surfaces look very pointed rather than when they were new.

Can anyone please tell me what are the consequences [if any] of continuing to use jockey wheels which are worn out.

At the moment they appear to work well so i have not changed them. What other factors other than appearance should i consider when deciding to change them?

Thanks

w

Consequences - don't know really - you can easily replace them for around a tenner

http://www.petracycl...ource=googlepbs

I find I go through a set a year on the commuter - I'd say replace....

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
No consequences in leaving them. Unless they do not spin freely I personally wouldn't bother. The only time I have ever fitted a jockey wheel was when one fell off an old Benelux mech back in the dark ages.

Fiona N

Veteran
When the upper jockey wheel gets too worn, it won't guide the chain properly during gear changes so you'll find that gear changing gets rather hit and miss as you have to over change (move the derailleur too far) to get the chain to shift, especially going to bigger sprockets.

Up to you whether this bothers you. Personally I like stuff to work well and as it's not exactly breaking the bank to replace the jockey wheels (which is a pretty simple task as they have an allen-key head bolt through the centre which you just need to unscrew until you can remove the jockey wheel), I can't imagine why you wouldn't.

Grasen

ceramic jockey wheels are supposed to make it less hard work......

whats wrong with hard work
I like it
I like it so much that I sit at home and watch other people do hard work for 8 hours every day

Top Bottom