Derailleur Cage Length

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BretonM

Hello all,
I recently ordered a Shimano Zee derailleur because I had a pretty bad accident and snapped mine.
I run a 1x10 drivetrain.
A 32t chainring.
A 11-34t cassette.
However I ordered the short Cage derailleur, is this going to be a problem ?
Thanks.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Hello all,
I recently ordered a Shimano Zee derailleur because I had a pretty bad accident and snapped mine.
I run a 1x10 drivetrain.
A 32t chainring.
A 11-34t cassette.
However I ordered the short Cage derailleur, is this going to be a problem ?
Thanks.
I think most short cage derailleurs only recommend maximum tooth of 28, you can often get away with 30 on some but I doubt very much if it could cope with 34 but I am no expert. Hopefully someone else will be along shortly.

Subtract the smallest sprocket's number of teeth from the biggest sprocket's number of teeth.

Now look in the derailer's brochure and find the "Capacity". The number of teeth calculated above should not exceed the capacity. There may also be a limit on how big the big sprocket can be. It will also be in the documentation.

OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

I think most short cage derailleurs only recommend maximum tooth of 28, you can often get away with 30 on some but I doubt very much if it could cope with 34 but I am no expert. Hopefully someone else will be along shortly.
That's not good.
Thanks.

OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

Zee short cage are more a downhill mech. Send it back and order a long cage.
Shimano also offer a Zee Derailleur called the free ride rather than Downhill. It's still a short Cage but rather than the max being 28t it can handle up to 36t I could just swap them.
Would that work.
Thanks.

OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

Zee short cage are more a downhill mech. Send it back and order a long cage.
And yourself !!!!

Top Bottom