Derailleur hitting spokes and unable to shift to smallest cog

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PSAS

Regular
As per the title I cannot shift to the smallest cog on the rear cassette and when I go to the largest the derailleur rattles along the spokes.
I have just replaced the rear wheel and fitted new cassette. This was not occurring prior to new wheel fitting obviously. Derailleur does not look bent to me.
Next step adjust Derailleur? Or is it possible I have not fitted cassette properly - spacer needed?

Tim Hall

From the description it seems the wheel and cassette is shifted to the right, assuming the derailleur position is unchanged, especially as the mech rattles on the spokes. I'd be checking the disposition of spacers on the axle compared to the old wheel. If there isn't any difference, something else is up and it's probably time to adjust the limit screws on the mech. In fact adjusting the limit screws is probably the best way to fix it anyway. I could write a step by step procedure but it's probably easier to search out the Park Tool video on YouTube.

(I'd say it's NOT a spacer for the cassette issue, due to the mech hitting the spokes issue.)

OP
OP
P

PSAS

Regular
I took the wheel off and refitted to no effect. Thanks I had not realised hubs might be different to that degree - I guess I have been lucky in the past. I have not got the smoothest shifting going on yet but I think I have removed the 'clashing' derailleur issue at least in a controlled environment... Thanks for the advice.

Top Bottom