Derailleur Pulley Bolt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gummo

Sadly, on trying to replace a pulley, the bolt head is stripped. Any tips on how to get it off?

Also, I'll need to buy a new bolt but I'm unsure, while searching online, what will be compatible with my Shimano RD-M663 derailleur.

IMG_20220614_124140.jpg

Last edited:

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
A quick Google suggests a few places stock them. If not maybe new pulleys which come with bolts.
As for getting that out you may be lucky with a torx bit. Failing that (carefully) dremmel a slit into it and use a flat head screwdriver to remove.

OP
OP
Gummo

Gummo

Mission accomplished, thanks to a combination of methods offered here and other forums:

The new pulley bolt arrived today. I removed the bottom pulley and with the chain on the smallest sprocket, I was able to rotate the derailleur's outer cage plate after having removed the limiter-screw. This allowed the bolt to turn anti-clockwise enough so that, when I inserted the allen-key and put downward pressure on the tool, I managed to get sufficient bite into the bolt to get it fully turned and removed. Hallelujah!

Thank goodness I didn't have to resort to drilling etc. Thanks also to the denizens of this thread for the inspiration, freely given, which spawned a solution to a tiny bolt with a big headache.

Last edited:
Top Bottom