Derbyshire is hilly!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrB1obby

So, I took my first cycle in over 2 months today, and the first time I've been out into the peak district (or just below). I'm definitely not fast, my biggest proper cycle over 2 months ago was 31miles in just under 2 hours, which I did down in Rugby (Coventry) area (at uni in Derby at the moment). On that ride I included what I thought were hills, now I would call them mounds.

I went from derby city centre, through Duffield, Kirk Irkeston(?) and stopping at Carsington water before heading home on the same route. The whole route is 26 miles and did it in 2 hours 1 minute but I could not believe how little flat road there was through the trip, it was either up or down, no in between. For the people that live around here, one hill going into Kirk Irkeston was a killer, I had to stop in the middle and at the top, purely because I was crawling along in 2nd gear with the legs feeling like they're in a furnace and leaving a trail of sweat drops behind me.

This has now made me want to do be able to complete the 50 mile climb in the peak district which is famous...unsure of the name but I'd guess most of you would be able to tell me?

My legs are now feeling it, but I enjoyed it a hell of a lot as soon as I hit the countryside (hate cities) and I now think I know what a hill is.

raindog

er.....
Used to do Sunday club rides up in the hills of Derbyshire when I was a lad. And walking across Bleaklow. Gorgeous county and great for biking. God, this is giving me a terrible bout of nostalgia. Sob! :sad:

broomwagon

I love the Peak District, I live virually on its doorstep so I'm lucky. I started my cycling life riding in the peaks after witnessing the '87 amateur RR, it made a lasting impression on me. I was around the northern end of it last evening, New Mills, Hayfield, Glossop etc and I go for the hills, they're good training and on a evening like last evening, the views towards Kinder were crackin'. I don't get down the south eastern area much, but I'd say for cycling country, the Peaks take some beating

Jonathing

Über Member
Having just moved to Sheffield from the fens, via Portsmouth I have to say the cycling here is so much better than at home or even the south downs. If only Sheffield city council had resurfaced any of the roads in town since the last ice age. Once you get out in the Peak District the riding is awesome, and I mean that in the old fashioned sense, it truly inspires a sense of awe. Not least from watching my clubmates climbing like mountain goats!

OP
OP
MrB1obby

MrB1obby

Oh no don't get me wrong, it has actually inspired me more than when I ride at home. All that pain up the hill, is worth it when you summit because of the views...and of course the accomplishment of not dieing.

Now I just want to get better and be able to charge up the hill like it's the flat.

The roads/views around glossop area are absolutely stunning, haven't been there on the push bike but recently went on the motorbike and my jaw dropped at every corner.

I am fortunate to live close by, and have had some truly memorable mtb rides in the peak, spent this eve' planning this weekends jaunt between derbyshire bridge and whaley bridge.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I love going out for a hilly ride in the Pennines. I have the option of the Cheshire plain or the Peak District, weather permitting the Peak District wins nine times out of ten.

OP
OP
MrB1obby

MrB1obby

Be sure to let us know when you can do this.....
^_^

Do you really think I'll have time to come on here...I'll be too busy winning the tour de france if I can ride like that :thanks:

doctornige

I too live there (Whaley Bridge). Even on my 20 min lunch time bimble, I tend to knock off about 600ft of ascent, and some of it is steep, particulary on the quiet side roads. Descents are often made interesting by standing water, ruts, sheep shoot, horses and oncoming tractors of the 'very large John Deere' variety. Nearby, there is a great descent from Long Hill to Erwood Reservoir that a pal of mine clocked 55mph on his Boardman Alu/carb. Must try that soon - it would make a great link up to Derbyshire Bridge.

Hacienda71

I too live there (Whaley Bridge). Even on my 20 min lunch time bimble, I tend to knock off about 600ft of ascent, and some of it is steep, particulary on the quiet side roads. Descents are often made interesting by standing water, ruts, sheep shoot, horses and oncoming tractors of the 'very large John Deere' variety. Nearby, there is a great descent from Long Hill to Erwood Reservoir that a pal of mine clocked 55mph on his Boardman Alu/carb. Must try that soon - it would make a great link up to Derbyshire Bridge.

That will be Goyt Lane. Bugger going up it. :ohmy:

OP
OP
MrB1obby

MrB1obby

I'm going to have to make a list of all the 'must do' climbs/decscents in derby, and then complete all before I move back home!

Hacienda71

Seems pretty easy after you have been up Blaize Hill and Jenkin Chapel :whistle: Just stuck it in Bikeroutetoaster. 1700ft over 7.5 miles.
Lol know what you mean. Mind you, you do have a little bit of down hill after Blaze before you get to Jenkins Chapel.....

Top Bottom