Derogatory terms for skilled jobs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
We did a job on a site in Bermondsey a while back. A carpenter got into an argument with a decorator about the relative skills of their jobs.

" You know what they say don't you???? If you can piss you can paint..."

I'm an IT PM. I suppose that makes me a Stakeholder Management Monkey.

Squaddie has to be the least derogatory term I've heard for cannon fodder.

The Services have a whole range of terms for specialities

Medics - Scab lifters
Health Inspectors - Drain Sniffers
Writers - Pen Pushers
Nurse - Doris
Wren - Jenny

Being a squaddie never bothered me. However, being called a Bootneck or Bootie really can upset some Royal Marines, and if they can bring themselves to stop holding hands for a moment they may even trying to start a fight over it :laugh:

Some of the common names for navy personnel and sailors are quite derogatory indeed.

I used polite ones!

Royal Marine

Speed of a race horse
Strength of a cart horse
Brains of a rocking horse

The difference between the Service ones is that they are often accepted by the insult. I meet lots of ex-Service personnel and when asked what I did, I am quite happy to say "Scablifter"

TreeHuggery

In a previous role I had 'Tsar' in my title - I could not wait to get rid of it.
See I think Tsar would be fabulous....that said....I always like a title with "Casual...." in front of it....
,,,,yeah maybe I'll turn up today....but then and again maybe I won't...."

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Slightly OT, but a software development platform I've used extensively in the past once ran a short-lived, ill-judged marketing campaign implying that it was like having a "geek in the box", complete with a propeller-head cartoon in its advertising.

attachment.jpg

Amid extensive protests from the developer community, the campaign was hurriedly withdrawn.

Tim Hall

See I think Tsar would be fabulous....that said....I always like a title with "Casual...." in front of it....
,,,,yeah maybe I'll turn up today....but then and again maybe I won't...."
I think I've posted this before, but hey. A few years ago there was a fashion for big wig public servants to be given the unofficial title of "whatever Tsar". There was a Drugs Tsar, tasked with reducing the use of illegal drugs, for example. A letter in The Guardian (I think) suggested one such could be appointed to oversee the chaos on the road caused during the peak travel times. The job title would be "Tsar of All The Rush Hours".

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Slightly OT, but a software development platform I've used extensively in the past once ran a short-lived, ill-judged marketing campaign implying that it was like having a "geek in the box", complete with a propeller-head cartoon in its advertising.

View attachment 353970

Amid extensive protests from the developer community, the campaign was hurriedly withdrawn.
I'm a software geek. :crazy: I work in a cubicle, which I guess resembles a box on 2 sides.

Top Bottom