Descending Col du Tourmalet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Horrendous camera angle but a very satisfying reward after the effort.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Me too, but I wouldn’t feel secure at that speed. I would be thinking about what would happen if I crash. I suppose, though, one would build up to it. Smaller hills at first. Let’s face it, the Cul de Tourmalet is one huge descent.

I've yet to break 50mph, my top is 49.6 recorded so far and been in high 40's on about half my rides round here. Suppose I should think about wearing a helmet..... :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

I've yet to break 50mph, my top is 49.6 recorded so far and been in high 40's on about half my rides round here. Suppose I should think about wearing a helmet..... :rolleyes:

I would definitely consider that. I never ride without one. Seen too many bad accidents with those without them.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I would definitely consider that. I never ride without one. Seen too many bad accidents with those without them.
Having landed on the back of my helmeted head yesterday at just 25mph, I'd not disagree. A slightly sore neck and being told to treat myself as having mild concussion has rather adjusted my ambivalence. From how hard my head hit the deck, I think I got off very lightly.

Re the video - not a great angle for sure. I've tried handlebar-mounted videos for descents (too much shake), and helmet mounted (better, but I know that doing shoulder-checks behind will make the video make viewers queasy). My recent purchase seems to be better on the handlebars... at least it caught the moment yesterday when I headbutted the tarmac, with virtually no shake :wacko:

D

Deleted member 26715

Interesting watching the steering input, turning the handlebars, I don't ride road bikes anymore, but I seem to remember being able to push the handlebar right when I wanted to go left like on a motorbike (counter steering) I would have thought they would have employed that.

Slick

Guru
Having landed on the back of my helmeted head yesterday at just 25mph, I'd not disagree. A slightly sore neck and being told to treat myself as having mild concussion has rather adjusted my ambivalence. From how hard my head hit the deck, I think I got off very lightly.

Re the video - not a great angle for sure. I've tried handlebar-mounted videos for descents (too much shake), and helmet mounted (better, but I know that doing shoulder-checks behind will make the video make viewers queasy). My recent purchase seems to be better on the handlebars... at least it caught the moment yesterday when I headbutted the tarmac, with virtually no shake :wacko:
Are we getting to see it? :giggle:

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Well, I suppose...

Here's me with helmet mounted camera (angled down a bit too much, though wanted to catch views down into valley)

And here's me with handlebar-mounted camera, breaking a chain while trying to keep up with cars in front going up a hill

Top Bottom