Descending Col du Tourmalet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've yet to break 50mph, my top is 49.6 recorded so far and been in high 40's on about half my rides round here. Suppose I should think about wearing a helmet..... :rolleyes:
I hit 85 kph (53 mph) this afternoon down Pasture Lane, Barrowford. @Littgull was apparently screaming at me from behind to watch out for the car coming up the hill towards me. I had spotted it, but had nipped over to its side of the road temporarily to avoid a pothole on my side ... :whistle:

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Bugger. The like was for sharing, not the fall.
Haha. What was heartening was the immediate attention I got from fellow cyclists. I must admit I haven't watched the video from after the moment of impact, but I know I was rather disorientated, and that at least two people got me safely onto the pavement, and did all the right things.

BTW, the bike needed some attention, so having come to my senses, I took it to Exeter Cycles just along the road, and they had it sorted by lunchtime, with a new chain, cassette and front wheel. :smile:

I didn't tell the doctor that I was cycling home... though in my defence, I did go very very carefully, on the 'bike path'.:whistle:

Slick

Guru
Haha. What was heartening was the immediate attention I got from fellow cyclists. I must admit I haven't watched the video from after the moment of impact, but I know I was rather disorientated, and that at least two people got me safely onto the pavement, and did all the right things.

BTW, the bike needed some attention, so having come to my senses, I took it to Exeter Cycles just along the road, and they had it sorted by lunchtime, with a new chain, cassette and front wheel. :smile:

I didn't tell the doctor that I was cycling home... though in my defence, I did go very very carefully, on the 'bike path'.:whistle:
Yeah, it was obvious the level of concern from others, well done them. I was going to crack the old one about "How's the bike" but decided against it as it did look nasty. Glad all is okay though must have stung in the pocket almost as much as the head.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Yeah, it was obvious the level of concern from others, well done them. I was going to crack the old one about "How's the bike" but decided against it as it did look nasty. Glad all is okay though must have stung in the pocket almost as much as the head.
£90. Which is probably slightly more than the valuation of my head.

Humour really is the best medicine - I think the doctor knew I was probably not too badly concussed as I was managing some (probably very unwitty) repartee while he tested my responses.

An excellent video. I never got to see any of the scenery at all when I went over the Tourmalet, thick cloud most of the way from the summit to just above Ste Marie de Campan.

Some really amazing roads in the Pyrenees, though there's nothing worse than climbing all that way and then getting stuck behind a car on the descent:cry:
Frightening when you see the speeds the pros do down there.

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

Having landed on the back of my helmeted head yesterday at just 25mph, I'd not disagree. A slightly sore neck and being told to treat myself as having mild concussion has rather adjusted my ambivalence. From how hard my head hit the deck, I think I got off very lightly.

Re the video - not a great angle for sure. I've tried handlebar-mounted videos for descents (too much shake), and helmet mounted (better, but I know that doing shoulder-checks behind will make the video make viewers queasy). My recent purchase seems to be better on the handlebars... at least it caught the moment yesterday when I headbutted the tarmac, with virtually no shake :wacko:

I’m glad you wore your skid lid. Who knows what might have happened to you had you not wore it.

I was also thinking a handlebar mount might have been better.

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

An excellent video. I never got to see any of the scenery at all when I went over the Tourmalet, thick cloud most of the way from the summit to just above Ste Marie de Campan.

Some really amazing roads in the Pyrenees, though there's nothing worse than climbing all that way and then getting stuck behind a car on the descent:cry:
Frightening when you see the speeds the pros do down there.

I would love to have given it a go. How exciting, but those dang pesky cars getting in the way. That would scare me more than the fast descent.

How fortunate to be there and ride through the Pyrenees. What gorgeous country.

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

Well, I suppose...

Here's me with helmet mounted camera (angled down a bit too much, though wanted to catch views down into valley)

And here's me with handlebar-mounted camera, breaking a chain while trying to keep up with cars in front going up a hill

Dang, we’re you hurt?

classic33

Leg End Member
I hit 85 kph (53 mph) this afternoon down Pasture Lane, Barrowford. @Littgull was apparently screaming at me from behind to watch out for the car coming up the hill towards me. I had spotted it, but had nipped over to its side of the road temporarily to avoid a pothole on my side ... :whistle:
Try the A58 down into Lancashire. Just as you get to the bottom, second left-hander, should be the point to watch.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I’m glad you wore your skid lid. Who knows what might have happened to you had you not wore it.

I was also thinking a handlebar mount might have been better.
They are prone to quite bad shakes, depending on the weight of the camera and stiffness of the mount. See how your GPS thingy is shaking in your video... well, yeah, that.

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

They are prone to quite bad shakes, depending on the weight of the camera and stiffness of the mount. See how your GPS thingy is shaking in your video... well, yeah, that.

I just had another look. Yes, you’re right, the GPS unit is in major Rock n Roll mode. Chest mount maybe, or somewhere else on the frame. Trial and error I guess.

Top Bottom