Descending Col du Tourmalet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

I think I got up to 80km/h on the faster bits (especially that almost straight bit where the half-tunnel is).

I don't live there, but I really wish I did. I live in Melbourne, Australia, where anti-cycling prejudice is every bit as bad (or worse) than in the UK or USA. Yes, I have a French phrase in my CycleChat signature line, but it's just wishful thinking.

80km/h is a good clip. That’s about 50mph. To me, that’s fast. I would love to experience what you did.

Unfortunately there are but a few countries that one would say are bike friendly. Parts of the US are where they have developed a decent infrastructure, and I will say, here where I live many roads have bike lanes, but still, so many drivers are just rude and nasty, especially those who we refer to as rednecks. They drive around in loud pickup trucks. Last year, my city was voted number one redneck city in America.

You mentioned how you would like to live in the area that you visited. I’ve never been there, but I’m sure I would as well. Anywhere that has drivers who show a respect for cyclists.

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

Only to discover that somebody had stolen it by the time you finally got back up there... :whistle:

My phone isn't locked so I would be tempted to ring it in a situation like that and hope that an honest person heard it and answered the call!

That could very well be the case. Would it be nice if one could have a recorded message activated on the phone in the event it’s stolen and an attempt to use it was recognized. “This phone will self destruct in 10 seconds.” Then the countdown begins. ^_^

You mentioned how you would like to live in the area that you visited. I’ve never been there, but I’m sure I would as well. Anywhere that has drivers who show a respect for cyclists.

I'd desperately love to live there, but realistically it's not going to happen.
The main issues with living in the Pyrenees is that there are very few jobs outside of seasonal tourism; parts of it are *extremely* rural (I say that as someone who has cycled in the far north of Scotland where you can go 40 miles without seeing another person) and the passes are shut with massive snowdrifts for 6 months of the year.

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

I'd desperately love to live there, but realistically it's not going to happen.
The main issues with living in the Pyrenees is that there are very few jobs outside of seasonal tourism; parts of it are *extremely* rural (I say that as someone who has cycled in the far north of Scotland where you can go 40 miles without seeing another person) and the passes are shut with massive snowdrifts for 6 months of the year.

Yes, for most of us that is the issue when it comes to available employment. I’m sure if you ask, most will probably say that they would love to live elsewhere, but jobs are what keeps us tied down. That, unfortunately for the masses, is life. Unless, of course, one’s means of livelihood can be done remotely. I’m retired, so being in that situation one would think I could live just about anywhere, but retirement benefits are, in my case, not enough, unless I chose live in a location that is undesirable.

Top Bottom