Detention Lines: I will wear a helmet.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have often wondered what effect the very existence of cycle helmets has on people's perception of cycling. Every cycle shop in the land has a prominent display of shiny helmets which must at some psychological level suggest that cycling is a dangerous activity. Cycling magazines are accused of gross irresponsibility if they dare publish an image of a bare headed cyclist.

No one (as far as I can remember) is suggesting in this thread that one shouldn't wear a helmet and I don't object to helmets in principle but I really do mind that, as a group we feel the need to wear them because of the danger posed by other road users. The solution to the problem of crap driving is not cycle lanes, helmets and hi-viz, it's driver education. By wearing a helmet and hi-viz we are merely reinforcing the myth that cycling is a dangerous activity. The bottom line is that cycling isn't dangerous, motor vehicles are dangerous. We should deal with the source of the danger not compel the victims to protect themselves against it.

Look at old images of workers leaving the ship yards in their thousands, not one of them wearing a helmet because they hadn't been thought of. Stand on a street corner in Holland or Germany, hundreds of cyclists and not a helmet in sight.

If cycling wasn't perceived as such a life threatening activity by the general population there would be a lot more cyclists on the roads. Helmets discourage cycle use.

Graham O

Having read some/most of this thread and read a lot of pseudo science and general re-iteration of the same old bollocks, it appears that the anti helmet people are assuming that the pro helmet people want everyone to wear a helmet. Can anyone point to a post where this is stated? All I have seen is statements to the effect that pro helmet people are pro choice, not compulsion.

Furthermore, there are a number of statements made by the anti helmet people that a helmet can protect against minor injuries, but their main arguement is that a helmet will do nothing in the case of major accident and injuries. Can anyone point to a post where anyone claims that a helmet will protect against major injuries?

From my personal point of view, I accept that a helmet is not going to keep me alive if a 45 tonne HGV runs over my head, but it will reduce the probability of head injury in a more minor incident. I accept that increased weight above the neck may lead to a higher incidence of neck injuries, but I believe that increase to be much less than the extra protection provided. (I hope that covers all scenarios.) I wear a helmet by choice, but I defend your right to not wear a helmet.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Graham O said:
Having read some/most of this thread and read a lot of pseudo science and general re-iteration of the same old bollocks, it appears that the anti helmet people are assuming that the pro helmet people want everyone to wear a helmet. Can anyone point to a post where this is stated?

Try post 1, So if there is anyone out there not wearing a helmet, please get one.

4F

dudi said:
cheers for the heads up.
that's my christmas prezzie!

I maybe picking your brains soon if thats OK about fixed conversion. I have just purchased another bike :sad: so the old dawes looks a prime candidate for fixed.

dudi

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
I maybe picking your brains soon if thats OK about fixed conversion. I have just purchased another bike :sad: so the old dawes looks a prime candidate for fixed.

let me know when mate, i'll take a ride out to see you. i like the coast!

4F

dudi said:
let me know when mate, i'll take a ride out to see you. i like the coast!

Can't promise you the ice cream hut will be open this time though :sad:

Maz

Guru
dudi said:
come on. if you're correcting spelling, at least make sure your post is correct!
Oops. I wasn't wearing my helmet!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
BentMikey said:
You really feel strongly about this, don't you?

What I feel strongly about is poor reasoning and unjustified extreme positions hiding under more reasonable fronts - on either side in any argument. My view on helmets is exactly that of Graham O.

There is a big, big difference between:
1. simply being anti-compulsion
2. trying to argue that helmets don't protect the individual or may increase risk; and
3. trying to argue that people chosing to wear helmets compromises the safety of other cyclists.

There is some evidence for compulsion having an effect, the is evidence both ways on the second; but there is none for the latter - and indeed that is basically trying to blame people who wear helmets for increasing risks occuring to others. And that's what you were suggesting.

As it implies something about the actions of many people here, I think this is quite a serious allegation, which needs some serious support if it is to be made, not a throw-away accusation.

However, you simply side-stepped the question and tried to make out that I have some agenda instead. Very poor argumentation. You've got a contentious statement to either justify with evidence or at least a decent hypothesis or withdraw. It's up to you to do either.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Flying_Monkey said:
However, you simply side-stepped the question and tried to make out that I have some agenda instead. Very poor argumentation. You've got a contentious statement to either justify with evidence or at least a decent hypothesis or withdraw. It's up to you to do either.

You'll be lucky (he used the "hidden agenda" line with me to). Don't worry though, he will simply put you on ignore if you keep pointing out the inadequacies of his arguments.

jasper

Why all the arguements on this subject? Who really gives a flying f... If you want to wear a helmet, wear one; if you don't, don't! Until/if they are made compulsory the choice is yours.

On training runs I don't; but when racing I do (because I have to). But I'm not bothered what other people do or don't do.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
BentMikey said:
And you're trying to suggest your argument is to a higher standard?

I think you're simply wrong and misguided.

Another sidestep - why not answer the question? Do you not think it is important?

(and frankly, on this showing, the answer to your question is an emphatic 'yes' - althought I'd really rather it wasn't.)

Top Bottom