devon c2c, barnstaple to illfracombe query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scardy

Hello all,

I am doing the devon c2c soon. I did this in 2005 but only from Barnstaple to Plymouth. This time I aim to do the hole thing.

I so far plan to get to Barnstaple for about 13:00 on the train. What is the route distance form Barnstaple up to Illfracombe? I think there are two options? My plan is to do a return trip, staying the first night in Barnstaple. Or would people advise I just stay in Ilfracombe then go from there to okehampton the next day?

Thanks,

David

Brains

Legendary Member
I did a big section of the trip a couple of years ago.

I would suggest cycling from the station at Barnstable to Illfracombe via the 'direct' (steep) route, spend the night there, and then next day come back via the other route.

I would aim for East Yarde Bunkhouse for the 1st night
http://www.yarde-orchard.co.uk/
or at least stop in the cafe - it's very good !

OP
OP
S

scardy

thanks guys. I shall aim to stay in Ilfracombe then. I've got a place sorted in Okehampton. It'll be quite a day between the two, but it saves cycling Barnstaple to Ilfracombe and back in an evening when I arrive!

I would avoid the back route to Ilfracombe to be honest as it can get quite narrow in places and people in cars are generally uncomfortable passing bikes.

The other way is via Braunton. This route is relatively flat from Barnstaple to Braunton. You can ride the South West Coast Path from Barnstaple to Braunton so you don't even need to touch the road. Also when you get to velator, I'd encourage you to take a slight detour and go and visit Braunton Burrows, it's about a mile from Wrafton.

As from Braunton to Ilfracombe, again it's possible to ride the South West Coast Path. The best bit is the old Ilfracombe Branch line between Mortehoe station and Ilfracombe as there are nice views towards the torrs. Alternatively you could ride to Lee then take the old road to ilfracombe. If you did that there would be parts where you're almost riding along the cliffs.

Brains

Legendary Member
Braunton to Barnstable is flat - it's on old railway track alongside the sea. A very nice run, about 40 mins I seem to remember.

Illfracombe to Oakhampton is a bit of a run, so why not stop at East Yarde for the night?

It's worth mentioning there is a cheap campsite at Mullacott Cross a couple of km from Ilfracombe. Mullacott Cross is at the top of a hill leading into Ilfracombe. If cycling out of Ilfracombe toward Barnstaple, this is the only proper hill you will have to climb. It is a beast! :-), although it is much nicer to take the Ilfracombe Branch Line cycle path.

Campsite (£6 a night, I think it's less off season).
http://www.mullacottfarm.co.uk/camping.html

Alternatively you could stay in Warcombe near Lee Bay. It's just round the corner from the top of the cycle path. It's a short ride to Woolacombe and there is a quick shortcut onto the main A road toward barnstaple, coming out just before Dean Valley.
http://www.warcombefarm.co.uk/tariff-2009.html

Mail me and I will try and get you a cheaper rate.

MarkW

I was down in North Devon last week with the family - it’s a beautiful part of the country.

Does anyone know if there are any active plans to add the ‘missing link’ of the old railway line between Braunton and Willingcott to Route 27? This would then permit traffic free cycling all the way between Ilfracombe and Meeth via Barnstaple. Looking at my OS map I can’t see any physical obstacles to this and the railway formation closely follows the main A361 road.

Top Bottom