Devon coast to coast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There are a couple of bits of NCN27 between Okehampton and Tavistock that are too rough for road bikes, but it adds up to around 600m, so just walk it. In general terms, the 27 at tjis end is pretty good at loosening your fillings on skinny tyres. So doable, yes, comfortable , no.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
This is on my wish list too. In fact a little guide book ‘The Ultimate Devon Coast to Coast Guide’ landed on my doorstep today.

I have also knocked up a southbound and northbound GPX/TCX course on cycle.travel However I am starting from further afield so I can do a back to back 200km DIY Audax.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
The more the merrier. I’ve just finished building the northbound and southbound routes from Porlock via Ilfracombe to the official foot ferry in Plymouth on Komoot as well as cycle.travel.

I’ll plan to go southbound and camp in Plymouth and return northbound the next day. Nearly 3000m ascent either direction so I don’t think I’ll fnd it easy.

Hopefully the first weekend of half term on my Audax bike which has 32mm tyres. Rack and two small panniers maybe. Blinkin’ Autumn weather means you always end up taking more kit ‘incase’.

Ajax Bay

Guru
There are a couple of bits of NCN27 between Okehampton and Tavistock that are too rough for road bikes,
Please could you be more specific? I suspect you mean the short section near the A386 (from passing under the A386 to the Shortacombe-Bridestowe road). This is 'private' but they are allowing cyclists and pedestrians to traverse that bit. It is not surfaced and is a bit twisty and can have a bit of mud. I have happily ridden that both ways several times (including at night on the Dartmoor Ghost) - you just need to slow down as the sight lines are poor (after the brilliance of the Granite Way from Okehampton). Riding a road bike with 28s on.
The other section you might have in mind is SE of Mary Tavy, from the foot bridge across the River Tavy up to Peter Tavy. I have ridden that going north (ie down the hill), but avoided it going south. I agree it's a short walk/push.
Otherwise there's a section further north climbing up through the woods south of Great Torrington which is a bit stony in places. I rode that last Saturday, on the same bike and tyres, having done so several times before.
In summary I would happily ride the whole route on a road bike with 25s on but be more comfortable with 28s. It's a fabulous route and Drake's trail (south from Tavistock) is a highlight - the viaduct crossing the Walkham valley hundreds of feet above the river.
Some of the tracks across Roborough Down (just S of Yelverton) are gravelly and best ridden when it's not wet.
But riders' thresholds for what they are content to ride vary widely.

Last edited:
Those are the two bits. The Peter Tavy bit, is, to me, unridable. The bit further up is fine on better than 23s, if as you say, you take it easy.
Further north - unknown to me. That's why I'm keen to give it a go! South of Yelverton, it's all reasonable if you don't stray off the path. The tramway bit between Yelverton and Clearbrook needs care, but otherwise no issue.

Last edited:
The more the merrier. I’ve just finished building the northbound and southbound routes from Porlock via Ilfracombe to the official foot ferry in Plymouth on Komoot as well as cycle.travel.

I’ll plan to go southbound and camp in Plymouth and return northbound the next day. Nearly 3000m ascent either direction so I don’t think I’ll fnd it easy.

Hopefully the first weekend of half term on my Audax bike which has 32mm tyres. Rack and two small panniers maybe. Blinkin’ Autumn weather means you always end up taking more kit ‘incase’.
Good weekend for me too, no gigs. I'd be going south to Plymouth and straight back up to Tavistock (Brentor) , if I haven't fallen to bits. Pick up the route in Ilfracombe as you pass?

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Going through Ilfracombe to ‘touch the water’ and see the Verity statue. And I’ll end (if I complete) at the Cremyll slipway.

Here is my route southbound https://www.komoot.com/tour/47244428?ref=wnf

And here is my route northbound https://www.komoot.com/tour/47246364?ref=wnf

I have chosen to go to/from Porlock to get my full 200+km for AUK points. And I plan to do it as 2 x 200s rather than a 400 as I haven’t done one yet and I want SOME touristic value. This is my first back to back set of 200s which I need to do as a gentle introduction to 400s and more. At least I’ll get a decent kip in Plymouth. I am considering a B&B rather than lugging my tent down there. At the moment, my routes take me to a campsite in Plymouth, but I’ll make any amendments if that changes.

Ajax Bay

Guru
South of Yelverton, it's all reasonable if you don't stray off the path. The tramway bit between Yelverton and Clearbrook needs care, but otherwise no issue.
I rode the route from Plym Bridge up to Yelverton yesterday (ie Sunday) afternoon and, as you say, all good with a bit of care (on 28s). And then up the road to Princetown - needed to get some climbing in. Averaged nearly 40kph back down to Plymouth from there what with the 1000 feet of descent and a brisk northerly tailwind.^_^:bicycle:

Top Bottom