Devon in November: robjh's autumnal microtour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lutonloony

Über Member
Good idea. My advice is choose the sunny days, and check the gradient profile of the route you're planning!
I just assume there will be hills, the odd steep one just gives you a feeling of acheivement( or is it near death experience ) might even have a go at the 50 chevron challenge next year

videoman

Guru
It's a Dawes Sardar, the steel version from about 2003. At the time it was a fairly similar spec to the Galaxy but with 26" wheels, and forks that allow for (though I don't currently have) disc brakes. I've got some lower gearing on it now but otherwise I think it's pretty much as it came.
It's a heavy beast but very comfortable for long distances and with lots of luggage.

Thought it was as I have the same bike in the same colour, just awaiting a new set of wheels after being knocked off it a couple of years ago by another cyclist coming the other way on a cycle path!!!

I still have a few other bikes to ride though.

Tilley

Über Member
Day five. I left Cheddar at 9 under a clear blue sky, and a bright sun that was burning the last traces of frost from the roofs and fields. I had the Gorge almost to myself, and in all its hundreds of parking spaces I saw just two cars
Up on the top of the Mendips I detoured slightly to see the view south to Glastonbury, the Levels and the hills beyond. Mist still hung over the low lands, but was lifting as I watched.
From the Mendips I dropped down northwards past the picturesque Chew Valley reservoir, and after a few last hills reached Keynsham and rode into Bath along the Bristol-Bath cycleway. I'd read a lot about this route and it didn't disappoint, but I guess roadies in the know must nip off before it turns into a canal towpath for the last couple of miles.
I only had time for a basic foot and bike wander around Bath, but it is an impressive place, and the centre was very busy with mostly well-heeled crowds, as well as a conspicuous number of homeless and beggars.
Then at 3.13 I was on the train back to London.

Cheddar Gorge (poor photo as very shady at that time in the morning)
View attachment 150899

View from the Mendips
View attachment 150901

Bristol-Bath cycle path (by the Avon Valley steam railway at this point)
View attachment 150900

Tourist shot in Bath - Poultney Bridge
View attachment 150902
I rode up Cheddar gorge for the first time on my recumbent during the Tasty Cheddar Audax earlier this year. Although the weather was poor and my progress was slow the view from the recumbent was the best I have ever experienced.

Nice tour Rob. Tough riding country. I've only done a bit in that area and remember the hills being ceasless, which is rewarding but hard.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Ok so it is on the Somerset north Devon border but it definitely isn't on the levels.
I knew that. Only teasing!

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Day four started with a sharp cloudburst as I was leaving Exford. Exford is actually in Somerset so the last two days of my mini--tour will be in the latter county rather than Devon.
By the top of the moor though the sun was coming out, making it a magnificent ride with clear views across the Bristol Channel to South Wales.
I detoured into Minehead out of curiosity, then stuck with the coast through Blue Anchor and Watchet.The going was easier today on better roads and with a tail wind, but there was still plenty of climbing at every headland or turn inland.
Next came the Quantocks whose heather-covered flanks loomed invitingly as I rode up from Minehead. I chose a minor road to cross them from Crowcombe to Over Stowey. I should turned back when I saw the 1-in-4 sign but didn't. I made it about 3/4 of the way, then stopped for a stretch and a quick breather, and found I couldn't push off on the bike as the road was just too steep, so I pushed for about 100 yards. The top however was spectacular, woods and heath in its full autumn glory.
I had to go through Bridgwater, which was the least pleasant part of the ride. Too much traffic and a town that just looks like it's seen better days ad doesn't invite you to linger. Not that I really had the time to - it was 3.30 and I had another 20 miles to go to Cheddar (and with sunset about 4.15).
This part was easy and almost all flat, as it crosses the Somerset Levels and I got to Cheddar Yha just before 6.

Exmoor
View attachment 150758

Crossing the Quantocks
View attachment 150759 View attachment 150760

On the Somerset Levels
View attachment 150761
I spent a lovely week in June this year in Somerset. A couple of the memorable days were spent on the Somerset Levels with @coffeejo where I really got into bird watching. We spent a fab hour in a bird hide with the most amazing view of Glastonbury Tor and a huge selection of our feathered friends. I also cycled around one of the RSPB reserves which was gorgeous .

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I'm nipping up to Somerset next week with the caravan, from North Devon, to recce the area for a cycling week next Spring. Always wanted to cycle the Somerset levels.:okay:

Top Bottom