Dexy's Midnight Runners were ...

Are Dexy's Midnight Runners

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I went to see the band at Warwick University in '79 or '80. Before anybody had heard of them anyway...

So, knowing nothing about the band, I decided that I'd go off to the union bar instead of watching the gig. I had a few pints and promptly fell asleep. My mates turned up about 2 hours later and woke me up. They were drenched in sweat and bright-eyed with excitement. They told me I'd missed one of the best gigs they'd ever seen. Ho hum... :wacko:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
BJB said:
Not forgetting the theme for Brush strokes :wacko::huh:
b-b-b...b-because of you-oo-oo, I'll see it through...
I love that, I sing it in the shower, to this day!:tongue:

Abitrary

Never listened to too much, but have had serious muso friends who are mad into them, and yes it is good. For some reason people who like them also seem to like Van Morrison a lot as well.

Also, very difficult to get commercial success almost bordering on novelty, and yet be a serious respected band. Not many bands can do that.

col

Legendary Member
I like them,it represented an era to me,great times,they were one of the few groups,that got us all up on the floor.

Renard

Young Soul Rebels was great, Too Rye Ay wasn't. They weren't exactly prolific enough to form much of an opinion either way so not crap.

Abitrary

On a purely top trumps basis, in categories such as novelty hits, decent hits. ability to be taken seriously by musos, fashions started, TV soundtracks, funny moments...

Dexys are going to be a hard act to beat whichever way you look at it.

Keith Oates said:
Well, am I the only one that's never even heard of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, Keith. You must - surely - have heard "Come on Eileen" at some point in the last thirty years.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Abitrary said:
On a purely top trumps basis, in categories such as novelty hits, decent hits. ability to be taken seriously by musos, fashions started, TV soundtracks, funny moments...

Dexys are going to be a hard act to beat whichever way you look at it.
Good point, Abmeister...

mondobongo

Über Member
Come on Eileen is much maligned but its not a bad record, remember hearing it for the first time and realising that it was not gonna get any faster, despite that build up at the end. But god almighty that was a bad set of stage clothes after the Soul Rebel image.
Saw them in 82/83 during the Radio 1 on Merseyside week at the Royal Court only thing to come close was U2 on the War Tour same venue.

Top Bottom