Dhb vs Shimano spd shoes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tommohawk

I am in the market for new spd shoes to use with my road bike. What are your thoughts on the dhb troika (£55) vs Shimano xc1 (£62)?

What type of pedals / cleats do you have?
The DHB is designed for 3 bolt cleats, the Shimano for 2 bolt cleats, so they're not really comparable.

Drago

Legendary Member
I don't lnow specifically about the Troika, but DHB are Wiggles own in house brand and have a decent rep for their shoes.

From what I can see the XC1 is 2 bolt MTB/touring SPDs, whereas the Troika is 3 bolt SPD-SL, so it is going to come down to what pedal system you use. The Troika can run 2 bolt with an adaptor, but such 'pontoons' are bulky and not very nice, so I would advise against it.

I don't lnow specifically about the Troika, but DHB are Wiggles own in house brand and have a decent rep for their shoes.

From what I can see the XC1 is 2 bolt MTB/touring SPDs, whereas the Troika is 3 bolt SPD-SL, so it is going to come down to what ledal system you use.
snap

OP
OP
T

Tommohawk

I am leaning towards Shimano just now.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I’ve got three pairs of Shimano SPD shoes - all have done me well. I would add to be careful of sizing; I am a solid EU43 and I bought my first pair that size - they are a smidge too small; the other pairs I bought are 44 and are perfect fit with robust socks on.

I would avoid shoes that have 3 x velcro closures in favour of shoes that have at least one ratchet type closure similar to the Shimano RT82 spd touring shoe which sadly, is no longer produced.

Over time the velcro wears or becomes clogged and doesn’t hold the shoe closed as well. This is fine for the two lower closures which are under less strain, but not the top one.

The Shimano xc3 seem to have a better closure system but unfortunately are £20 more expensive.

Out of the two pairs you have mentioned I would probably favour the Shimano ones as I’ve been impressed with the comfort and quality of my own Shimano shoes over the last five years I’ve had them.

Top Bottom