Di2 or mechanical?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
I've had it twice on two different bikes. It was ok loved the noise of the front mech. Would I buy it again ? probably not seems you either get no problems and it's flawless or full of annoying niggles. Like most things technical I suppose.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
I would definitely go for it, every time I change gear on my bike I think "This is so difficult to get the hang of. And I have to adjust it every two years as well! Surely there must be a better way if you have £1,000!".

I am also looking at getting some of those indicator and brake lights to go on the back of my bike because I am having trouble putting my arm out whilst cycling.

How often does it need charging. I note a few people on the Indi Pacific Wheel race are using it which kinda surprised me?

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
How often does it need charging. I note a few people on the Indi Pacific Wheel race are using it which kinda surprised me?
How often do you change gear?
Mine runs for about 500 miles around the very hilly North Devon area.
You'd probably get 2 - 3 times that on the flat.

How often do you change gear?
Mine runs for about 500 miles around the very hilly North Devon area.
You'd probably get 2 - 3 times that on the flat.
That's what I thought. This is a 5300km race so I guess it must be relatively quick to charge.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
That's what I thought. This is a 5300km race so I guess it must be relatively quick to charge.
Or they are using a power bank on the go.

GlenBen

Über Member
My two-penneth. I wouldnt get it. I have never used it so so I cant comment on if its actually any better, although I have heard many, many people say it is.

For me, a bike is a simple machine that I can maintain myself (usually) and one of the few remaining things in life that isnt reliant on technology and doesnt need to be plugged in all the time. Personally, Id like to keep it that way as long as possible.

rockpig

Über Member
I agree with @Dirk - don't test ride a bike with it on unless you're prepared to buy it. I did and ended up buying the bike and don't regret it at all. Yes, it's a luxury rather than a necessity but there is something about the noise the front mech makes when it auto-trims that makes me smile every time.

OP
OP
RegG

RegG

Über Member
Mixed thoughts then! I will have to see if I can have a test ride on a Di2 equipped bike, but then it seems there will be not turning back!!

Thanks for all the replies :cheers:

Heisenberg71

When you're dead, you're dead
I recently upgraded to Di2 from SRAM Red, and LOVE it!
Yes it's a luxury, yes some have problems, yes it's expensive. However it is slick, effortless and takes the effort away on long rides. I too suffer hand pain and numbness on long rides. I have a Dfly hooked up to the garmin which indicates the gear you're in and displays battery charge. Great addition.

Some will always yearn for the old tech, some will be open to anything new. Why do you need fuel injection on a car, carburettors work perfectly fine. Why do you need a jet plane, propellers are awesome. If you're interested, go try and decide for yourself.

Me, I ain't going back.

keithmac

Guru
If I was cycling for enjoyment and could comfortably afford it I'd deffinitely have it, lifes to short to scrimp..

Top Bottom