Di2 or mechanical?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RegG

Über Member
Looking for my N+1 and am now considering going for Ultegra Di2 as opposed to mechanical Ultegra.

What are the pros and cons of going for Di2 over the mechanical version?

rb58

Enigma
I'll start:

Di2 is expensive when it breaks. DAMHIKT.

Looking for my N+1 and am now considering going for Ultegra Di2 as opposed to mechanical Ultegra.

What are the pros and cons of going for Di2 over the mechanical version?
Shorting the battery out is a pain in the posterior on a Di2. So is someone disconnecting it at the traffic lights ( 'cos that's reeeeally funny don't you know). Other than that, if you can, do. If the battery does die en route, for whatever reason, you can still ride the bike, just in 'default ratio'.

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
I've had Di2 o n a road bike. My two bobs worth. Yes, it's very nice but not really necessary. If you can afford the extra expense without troubling the bank manager then, by all means, go for it. Personally, knowing what I do now, I'd rather spend the money on a wheel upgrade.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have bikes with Di2 and also with mechanical.

I have not had any trouble with my Di2 over 2000km and it is luxury. Its a luxury item and if you can afford it without scrimping on other things for your bike, then get it.

But as Shortandcrisp pointed out. It is not necessary. Ultegra mechanical is perfectly fine and is easier to fix.

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Did you break it then Ross?

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Have had Di2 for a while now, Also fitted it to by other halfs bike and also onto a friends, So far no problems at all. Nice and easy to set up, really smooth when operating it, would not go back to mechanical. Just keep an eye on the charge in the battery, Well worth the money.:okay:

zizou

Veteran
I have it on one of my bikes and in some respects i don't really notice how much better it is when i am riding that bike (it just works and does the job without any fuss) however I definitely miss it when i am riding the bikes with mechanical gears!

I'm not the greatest when it comes to indexing mechanical gears but with Di2 its very simple to do (and can be done while riding along). Although that is not something that needs done often because there isnt any cable stretch.

rb58

Enigma
Did you break it then Ross?
Rear derailleur ripped off on a FNRttC last year. It wasn't under strain, or changing gear at the time. I had to shorten the chain and ride 25 miles home single speed. At first it looked like it was just the gear hanger, but the LBS confirmed the mech was bent too so had to be replaced. Other than that, I love it. But to be honest, it is a luxury and my well set up mechanical Ultegra is just as good.

U

User32269

Di2 is the work of the devil. In about 2 years Cycling Active will be running reviews on changing gear by clenching your right or left buttock, and sending a signal to the implanted micro chip you must have inserted when buying your new bike.
Cyclechat will have posts extolling the merits of painless micro chip insertion; indeed, it will be performed by Halfords, as part of CTW.
"How did we ever manage without it?"
"All my ride data gets sent somewhere automatically, through my arse, that's so cool."
You have been warned people.

Drago

Legendary Member
Its a technical masterpiece, very slick, generally very reliable.

However, even if I were willing to invest the money I have two objections -

Firstly the they're charging an eye watering price per gram for the equipment, that they charge because that's what they think the market will sustain, not because that's what the Taiwanese electronics costs them.

And second, my real objection, is because I love the mechanical simplicity of bicycles. GPS is about as far as I'm willing to go down the flow of electrons on my bike, and there are reasons why I'm not entirely comfortable with even that. Hell, I'm the guy that doesn't have a smartphone.

Fundamentally, its reliable, excellently performing gear, so if you do fancy it there's little reason not to do it. The real question is whether it is compatible with your cycling ethos.

Last edited:

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Is it good? Yes.
Is it necessary? No.
When people ask me about Di2 I always say - 'Don't test ride a bike with it on unless you're prepared to buy it - you'll probably end up spending more than you bargained for'.

Top Bottom