Di2 ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biking_fox

Guru
Anyone tried it?

It's shimano's (new?) automatic gearing for a hubdrive - As I understand it very similar to an automatic car gear box, it measures how hard you're peddling and shifts up and down gears appropriately.

I'm considering an electric tandem with the OtherHalf who isn't a strong rider - hence the e-assist - and at least one of the models comes with Di2.

How smooth is it? Does it suddenly jerk you into a new gear?

And somewhat more nebulously - how much change in 'hard peddling' does it need to shift? When OtherHalf is tired, most of the power is going to be coming from me, and I won't necessarily be wanting to shift gear just because I'm pushing a bit, unless it's hilly.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have Di2 on my carbon road bike. It has nothing to do with hub drives though.

It is an electronic way of changing gears and in my opinion it is great. Super smooth changes up and down all the time.

I am sure some technical person will come by and give you the lowdown.

Yes we can ride without Di2. But now I have it, I prefer not to.

keithmac

Guru
Have a look at the Raleigh Strada E, it will be the same system.

Shimano Steps crank motor, Alfine DI2 integrated 8 speed hub, and can do fully automatic gearchanges.

Maybe a roadtest on a Strada E will give you enough feel for the system before you buy the kit?.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Ah. It's parts of the STEPS system - https://shimano-steps.com/e-bikes/united-kingdom/en/the-system

Incorporating Di2, but going that bit further as an automatic gear I think??

For Di2 you still chose when to shift? (There are Di2 Alfine hubs)

I'm fairly sure you have a choice, so you can either shift at the push of a button for each shift or use the auto option.

Dropping to a low gear at rest sounds clever, although the bike won't know if you are a restarting on a decline and don't want to change down.

Given the added complication of matching effort from the stoker, I suspect manual shifting would work best on a tandem.

Top Bottom