Diagnosed with Lyme disease

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
no guarantee at all. I know exactly where I had to extract a tick from when we were camping wild in Lithuania and it was nowhere near my legs!
I once found one in my belly button xx(

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
no guarantee at all. I know exactly where I had to extract a tick from when we were camping wild in Lithuania and it was nowhere near my legs!
Absolutely Emma. Infected ticks are, reportedly, widespread, extending even into London parkland. This year we've traveled a far as Austria, where incidence is high, but that was over three months ago. Taking into account that the rash appears up to a month or so after the bite, within that time frame I've wandered widely around the Peak District hills, camped at a site in Delamere Forest (not far from you Emma) and walked and cycled in the North Pennine hills.
Your guess is as good as mine where I picked it up, since I've no recollection of it anyoldhow, but, for what it's worth, I wasn't wearing shorts in any of those locations. In my humble opinion, short of barricading yourself in your living room, it'd be difficult, if not impossible, to guarantee protection from the little blighters. Which is one reason I posted here, to alert folks who didn't know, to the risk and potential consequences. Your best protection is knowledge and awareness.

U

User169

GWS. Sounds like you've caught it early enough.

My next door neighbour had it a couple of years ago and ended up having major problems with walking for months.

Twinks

Über Member
Arghhh I had this too. Think from riding my horse in Dalby forest in Nth Yorks. Lots of deer in there that carry tics. I told Doc I didn't want antibiotics thankyou ...... had no idea of the consequences. Thankfully he had the patience to explain and not be angry with me. Had blood tests later not sure what for but all ok.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Good luck with it Geoff. I was bitten by a tick at the beginning of May whilst kayaking on the river Wye. The little git was only on me for 10 seconds or so, at about midday.
I felt cold like symptoms later in the day and went to the pub. Walking there I felt bloody awful. By the time I got in my tent I felt rotten. I woke up the next day feeling like I had the worst flu ever.
I mentioned lymes disease to my mates and we looked it up on the web. I was dismissed .. Didn't have the red circular rash (turns out that not everyone gets that!)
I travelled home with Patrick and Christine in their van, they never caught my virulent flu.
I kind of forgot about lymes disease until about a week later when I realised my wife, son and work colleagues hadn't caught this flu... So I went to the doctors. They took bloods, and automatically gave me 3 weeks of antibiotics. The bloods were inconclusive.

I had various symptoms, they were never constant or continuous-

Flu, aching joints, hot flushes, bitterly cold, sweats (both H & C), tooth pain, skin troubles, poor sleep, too much sleep, lack of breath, eye pain, nausea, vertigo, and mild hallucinations!
There was a Saturday morning in May where I was sat in shorts and t shirt playing my guitar. All of a sudden I was drenched in sweat. Lasted a minute or so, and was gone.

As stated in my rides of the year post I went to Mallorca at the end of May, I could ride 60-80 miles in high 30's heat at a good speed, but any inclines had me feeling that my lungs were being ripped out with barbed wire. At this time I felt generally ok, but there would be 10 minutes to an hour of feeling utter shite at any time of day!

I wish you well with it as it's not too pleasant. At the end of your antibiotics try and get more so you kill the bugger!

Best wishes, Dave.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
We have a terrible tick problem at the moment. The little sods are in our garden and the pet shops seem to have no outdoor spays. I've tried the garden centres too but they all say that I need a professional bug guy with an arachnacide spray. They are seriously expensive! We could do with a bit more of a cold snap. We've had a couple of frosts and the ticks are getting fewer, but a week of bloomin' freezing mornings would be so helpful to us.

No idea where the little blighters are coming from. No sheep in our back garden either.

We do check the dogs after every foray into the garden and Hubster and I check each other for bites every day. We wear wellies in the garden, all the time now.

Twinks

Über Member
Saluki we use Frontline for the dogs. Not sure how it works, if it just makes them die and drop off or prevents in the first place but never found any on them and they have travelled through lots of sheep and deer country with us. Might be just lucky as never found any on horses either and I took them through forests etc when endurance riding and we live in stock country.

We had a serious frost at the weekend but riding down the Sett Valley trail yesterday there were swarms of midges. Also the bats were still around only last week, surely should have hibernated before now, but then if there are still midges there's still food! Weird nature!

Top Bottom