Diary of a smoker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TVC

Bloody hell Swee'pea. Hope you're not in too much pain. If you choose not to go into any more details I know we will all understand.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks for the good wishes - much appreciated. Not much to tell really....an x-ray as part of my medical for the etape du tour revealed a shadow, which on further investigation turned out to be a lump in my lower left lung, along with another much smaller lump in the upper half. A biopsy showed that the big one was a nasty, so that meant the whole lower lobe had to come out, and while they were at it they did a 'wedge' - ie, chopped out the smaller lump in the upper lobe, along with a fair bit of the surrounding tissue. So I'm now down to about one and a quarter lungs. Fortunately - and thanks in very large part to my cycling - my lung function tested out as 'fantastic', which means that apparently once I've fully recovered, I should notice no real difference in day to day living, though my ability to, eg, take part in future etapes may well be compromised. And hopefully that's that.

As to the post-op, it's all been relatively painless, considering. I'm on two different painkillers, taken three/four times a day, plus another drug to cope with the gastric effects of one of them, and that's about it. I have a degree of discomfort pretty much all the time, but no worse than, say, a week-old heavy duty bruise. And like I say, I tend to tire more easily, get a bit breathless, and have to take it easy. But considering this time last week I was just coming round, I'm pretty pleased with my progress. The only thing I miss is the morphine! My wife & kids came to see me the day after and by all accounts I was high as a kite and mad as a bucket full of frogs, and a damn good time was had by all. I even won at cards...tho' I think they might have been letting me...

Anyway, that's about it.

The only thing I would add is that for anyone whose history is anything like mine - 25 years of pretty dedicated puffing - I'd at least consider asking your GP to refer you for a chest x-ray. They're happy to do it, and even tho' it is a bit scary (who, in truth, would in at least one sense rather not know?), it's worth it. At best, you get peace of mind with an all-clear. At worst, you get necessary action taken early. And 'early' massively improves your survival prospects.

Gromit

Über Member
I lost my mum on the 27 April due to smoking induced cancer. My auntie is in Bolton hospital in the final stages of cancer, they have withdrawn food and water. We are waiting for her to die.

To this day I will never be able to understand why people smoke. If I see someone smoking or I smell it, it makes me feel physically sick. Sorry but that is how I feel. If you have ever nursed someone with this horrible disease you will understand.

OP
OP
Peteaud

Peteaud

Veteran
I lost my mum on the 27 April due to smoking induced cancer. My auntie is in Bolton hospital in the final stages of cancer, they have withdrawn food and water. We are waiting for her to die.

To this day I will never be able to understand why people smoke. If I see someone smoking or I smell it, it makes me feel physically sick. Sorry but that is how I feel. If you have ever nursed someone with this horrible disease you will understand.

Cant really reply to that, it hits home, and ive been in the same situation a few times waiting for someone (a loved one) to die.

I started smoking at 14 because all my mates did.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
At the moment I just want to eat all the time with stopping smoking. I was not so bad when I first stopped as I was using a Nicorette Inhalator and that must of suppressed my appetite like fags. Since I came off that I just want to eat, good job I am doing quite a lot of cycling as I would put lots of weight on. Still putting a few pounds on is better than smoking and hopefully the increased appetite will subside after a bit longer.

OP
OP
Peteaud

Peteaud

Veteran
At the moment I just want to eat all the time with stopping smoking. I was not so bad when I first stopped as I was using a Nicorette Inhalator and that must of suppressed my appetite like fags. Since I came off that I just want to eat, good job I am doing quite a lot of cycling as I would put lots of weight on. Still putting a few pounds on is better than smoking and hopefully the increased appetite will subside after a bit longer.

You do put a bit of weight on, i did, but that is easier to shift than stopping the fags.

If you get the munchies try a glass / bottle of water, it worked for me. also chewing gum is good.

gbb

Legendary Member
Strewth 8 months 2 weeks in and I'm at work with the biggest craving for a cig, that horrible hollow chest feeling. No way will I give in but that's taken me by surprise.
Wow, t hats a big craving.

postman

Legendary Member
I don't know if this will help,i am 62 years young i started drinking in 1967 aged 17.Over the last few years i started to like whisky,so i started to chase a few pints with a small drop,but that drop got bigger.I also started to eat a bar of choc and knock back a full bottle of red wine,during saturday nights sometimes while on here.
Well last xmas i started around the middle of Dec with the old booze and xmas dinner with mates,i bought a lovely whisky from a well known supermarket because they have an offer on and i also bought a bottle of JD to mix with cola.And i now know i was binge drinking,i finished up in hospital,very ill,i had a 13 night stay,my gallbladder came out,i was asked many times was i a heavy drinker and i replied no.
Well it's now September and the thought of me being so ill again and upsetting my family,i have not had a sip of booze at all,i know it makes sense,so if you can stay off the fags it will do you some good,and as a bonus my cycling times and speeds have improved
Go on do yourself a favour keep off them fags.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Well done to all of you who've come so far.:thumbsup:

If any more incentive is needed, we heard today that our colleague died yesterday, having been diagnosed with lung cancer back in November. Aged early 40's, with a wife and two small children, one of whom is so young that she'll probably never remember her Dad, but is probably old enough to wonder where he's gone. :sad:

He gave up, periodically, but never for very long. I hope you all do it for good.

Top Bottom