Diary of a smoker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Onthedrops

Veteran
Best of luck to all aiming to quit. (myself included)
Suggest we post on this thread (if that's ok with Pete? For group hugs and mutual support as well as encouragement from everyone interested.

Reece

Veteran
Well done Onthedrops and Reece for taking the steps to give up.

I suggest you spare a few minutes to have a read of this thread from the start. Not only Pete's story of giving up byt a few others who were also inspired by this thread too.
Cheers. Will be browsing over this thread after my dinner.

OP
OP
Peteaud

Peteaud

Veteran
Best of luck to all aiming to quit. (myself included)
Suggest we post on this thread (if that's ok with Pete? For group hugs and mutual support as well as encouragement from everyone interested.

Post away all you like.

I received a massive amount of support from all on this forum and i can tell you 100% it all helps.

It is not easy, but it can be done.

OP
OP
Peteaud

Peteaud

Veteran
Nice one Pete.

My turn tonight. I've tried several times his year but have cut down the last few weeks. Never been more than 10 a day for last few years anyway. Thought to myself 13 yers has been long enough smoking so tonight's the night.

Also will doing it for my family and to get fitter for all the sportives I have booked myself on next year.

Do it,

I wish you luck.

BTW 10 a day is around £1200 a year, or this carbon fibre kit

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-TCR-C...aign=Adwords&gclid=CPPJ8L6hxbQCFXDLtAod_F0AeA

12 months from now you can have that bike sitting in you garage, or fag breath,

I know what i would want.

OP
OP
Peteaud

Peteaud

Veteran
Looking to quit myself tonight!
Been on the tabs since I was 16 (now the wrong side of 40 !!!) Tried a couple of times without success, although I did quit for around 8 weeks once but like a fool I faltered and restarted.
Youngest daughter bought me some E cigs with a heartfelt plea to stop. I feel I now have to try, if not for my own sake but to ensure I live long enough to see my kids get married, have their own kids and see them grow up.
I feel cycling will be a step in the right direction in helping me stop as I would like to get and feel fitter, less lethargic and above all............. to stop smelling like a bloody ashtray!
I am self conscious of the horrible stink attached to smokers. I also know that includes me when I've just had one. Would be great to go out of an evening and not take off foul smelling clothes when I get into bed at the end of the evening.

Got a few ciggies left, so aiming to smoke my head off tonight and get them used. Then hopefully that'll be it, I aim to be an ex smoker this time tomorrow!

There. I've put it in writing now. Can't go back. Any support and encouragement would be greatly appreciated folks. :highfive:

Don't keep any smokes in the house, car, garage etc. It is temptation.

If you feel the urge, drink water, chew gum, use mouth squirter, e cig etc, the craving will go.

I see you are from Yorkshire, well how about this, 2014 the TDF is there, why not see it sitting on a couple of grands worth of carbon bike, fitter than many around you and not stinking like an ashtray.

Dont smoke, save the cash and its yours. Tell or ask you family "if i stop smoking i am buying this" and print out a photo of it, hang it in the garage, kitchen etc as a reminder.

Reece

Veteran

Onthedrops

Veteran
I see you are from Yorkshire, well how about this, 2014 the TDF is there, why not see it sitting on a couple of grands worth of carbon bike, fitter than many around you and stinking like an ashtray.

You forgot to add "clad in Assos lycra from head to toe!"

Thanks for the encouragement Pete, keep it coming, I'm gonna need it! Much of the inspiration is coming from your and other members stories on this thread.

Stephenite

Membå
Definitely a good idea to have a clear reward like that.

Have you Drops and Reece plans to use any kind of nicotine replacement therapy? Or any other strategy for when the times get hard?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
From my experience, I didn't really find that times got hard. People vary, of course, but why not start out feeling positive? It's maybe a bit unhelpful to warn of dark times ahead when there might not be any :smile:

I had no dark times ten years ago. The worst it got was that I'd get the most peculiar sensation in my scalp every now and then which coincided with an urge to have a cigarette.

Stephenite

Membå
From my experience, I didn't really find that times got hard. People vary, of course, but why not start out feeling positive? It's maybe a bit unhelpful to warn of dark times ahead when there might not be any :smile:
Yes, good point.

Many others are stronger than me. :smile:

OP
OP
Peteaud

Peteaud

Veteran
It's not about being strong though, Stephenite, it just isn't always as bad as people think it will be. Those who give up the habit all end up at the same place, howevere they get there :smile:

I have to agree with that.

Yes it is tough, but to be honest after a while it sort of just clicks and you dont think about it. Yes,you get the odd craving, and at some weird times, but it soon passes.

Reece

Veteran
Definitely a good idea to have a clear reward like that.

Have you Drops and Reece plans to use any kind of nicotine replacement therapy? Or any other strategy for when the times get hard?
Will be using lozenges (tesco variety) used these several times before but always failed when I've been out on the beer. Will also be going tee total to.

The lozenges cure my cravings but the real bad heartburn so will only be using them when cravings are bad, rather than my usual fag times as before.

Top Bottom