Did a Metric 100 today!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have in the past only managed 3 x 50 mile rides in the seven years I've been cycling the longest until today was 56 miles.... I always thought it was time restraints stopping me from going further (Being home for lad when he gets back from school on my day off etc) so today with Little V on holiday with in laws and Mrs V at work I went off determined to do 63 miles (100 Km) for the Strava Distance challenge.

I found a nice cafe in Atherstone (Apart from some Scally's lurking outside smoking something dubious... the bike was locked and in full view at ALL times) Four quid for lunch and a coffee!

I think I over rated my fitness levels a little not having done anything over 30 miles in recent months so... Yeah.... Don't think I'll be doing it again any time soon at 58 miles - 5 miles from home I started to get cramp in both legs! A quick stop and a walk about worked a bit but would have stopped longer but the tom tom was beginning to get critical on power and didn't want to lose the last 4 miles and miss out on the challenge badge!

https://www.strava.com/activities/2601634298

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I have in the past only managed 3 x 50 mile rides in the seven years I've been cycling the longest until today was 56 miles.... I always thought it was time restraints stopping me from going further (Being home for lad when he gets back from school on my day off etc) so today with Little V on holiday with in laws and Mrs V at work I went off determined to do 63 miles (100 Km) for the Strava Distance challenge.

I found a nice cafe in Atherstone (Apart from some Scally's lurking outside smoking something dubious... the bike was locked and in full view at ALL times) Four quid for lunch and a coffee!

I think I over rated my fitness levels a little not having done anything over 30 miles in recent months so... Yeah.... Don't think I'll be doing it again any time soon at 58 miles - 5 miles from home I started to get cramp in both legs! A quick stop and a walk about worked a bit but would have stopped longer but the tom tom was beginning to get critical on power and didn't want to lose the last 4 miles and miss out on the challenge badge!

https://www.strava.com/activities/2601634298
Well done. I’m like you and seem to prefer 30 - 40 miles these days, and only occasionally do more. Nice feeling of achievement, but wouldn’t want to do them too often. Your average speed was decent considering you hadn’t done one before. :notworthy:

OP
OP
simon the viking
Well done. I’m like you and seem to prefer 30 - 40 miles these days, and only occasionally do more. Nice feeling of achievement, but wouldn’t want to do them too often. Your average speed was decent considering you hadn’t done one before. :notworthy:

I was over an average 14 for a lot of it, just dropped down a bit from 50 miles onward

OP
OP
simon the viking
Well done . Some localish roads to me if you come that way again plenty of cafes around Market Bosworth for a break and some lovely lanes to ride

Actually the destination was meant to be Market Bosworth, following a suggestion from a work colleague... unfortunately the A444 was shut at Twycross so just bailed and went to Atherstone as I used to work there and new a few cafe's there.

OP
OP
simon the viking
Well done!
You'll sleep well tonight ^_^

As long as the cramp doesn't come back:ohmy: (legs are still a bit achy)

OP
OP
simon the viking
well done imperial next, im planning one on the 18th

I think i need to a few more 50s as i was really struggling when the cramped kicked in.. but had to get home. If the tom tom wasnt almost flat i reckoned I'd have stopped at Rosliston.. it was just about there where it came on

Good luck with your imperial 100

wonderloaf

Veteran
:bravo:Well done, you'll soon be doing 70 miles, then 80, 90,...100.
I was the same as you, up until a month ago 61 miles was the furthest I'd ridden (and it nearly killed me) but decided one weekend to go for the 70, actually did nearly 80 miles.
Then a couple of weeks later managed 105 miles and TBH it wasn't that much more difficult, the worst bit was the middle 40 - 60 miles. Once through that I seemed to get my second wind and things got easier.

Top Bottom