Did you change from Hybrid to Drop Bar Bike

First bike a Hybrid/Flat Bar. Have you changed to a Drop Bar Bike?

• Use hybrid/flat bar only

Votes: 481 40.9%
  • Use both a hybrid/flat bar and drop bar bike

Votes: 487 41.4%
  • Use drop bar bike only

Votes: 206 17.5%
  • Don't/Can't ride anymore

Votes: 5 0.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

danbhardy

Regular
I started off with mountain biking. I really enjoyed it! Until I had 2 offs in the space of 2 trips. My first was at gisburn Forrest where I came off and broke my nose and arm. The 2nd was when I got back on my mountain bike and went for a short ride, hit a big rock and rammed my goolies into the stem. At this point I decided to try road riding instead.

So I bought a ridgeback hybrid, which was great. I did a fair few leisure miles on it, til it was hit by a car and the frame bent (am currently taking all the stuff off the frame and putting it on swmbo's 20 odd year old emmelle frame).

So then I got my merlin cycles bike and haven't looked back. It's amazing the advances they've made since the Raleigh Arena drop bar bike I had as a kid! I love the way it all feels and am looking forwards to my first decent ride on the London to Brighton in June :smile:

MattDB

Über Member
after using a hybrid for several years I took the plunge and went road. After a fall I decided to go to MTB (didn't want to buy another hybrid and my dad is using it now) and I'm loving the MTB. I feel like it's a better position for me, I feel less vulnerable on the commute and I actually don't feel like I'm that much slower on it. The ONLY drawback is downhill and on the straights where I run out of gears but I love not being as worried about hitting potholes/cracks in the path. Saying that I've just dusted off my road bike after a seatpost clamp issue with the MTB and I still like it - I wonder if it would make a difference if I had a proper bike fit.

grellboy

Über Member
I started off with mountain biking. I really enjoyed it! Until I had 2 offs in the space of 2 trips. My first was at gisburn Forrest where I came off and broke my nose and arm. The 2nd was when I got back on my mountain bike and went for a short ride, hit a big rock and rammed my goolies into the stem. At this point I decided to try road riding instead.

So I bought a ridgeback hybrid, which was great. I did a fair few leisure miles on it, til it was hit by a car and the frame bent (am currently taking all the stuff off the frame and putting it on swmbo's 20 odd year old emmelle frame).

So then I got my merlin cycles bike and haven't looked back. It's amazing the advances they've made since the Raleigh Arena drop bar bike I had as a kid! I love the way it all feels and am looking forwards to my first decent ride on the London to Brighton in June :smile:

RudeNot2

Über Member
Over the last decade, I have gone from a couch potato to doing 100 miles over the Alps on a MTB, to doing L2P and most recently (June 2016) L2A on a hybrid. The time has come to move onto (/back to) a drop bar roadie Have done the pre signup for Etape Caledonia next year so looking to build up fitness / mileage on the new steed (TBA) before then Any suggestions for low cost / free group rides beforehand would be appreciated.

Ronnie2478

i converted from a heavy frame, chunky tyres Mountain Bike to a carbon frame Road Bike Hybrid. I Like the Flat Bar and feel comfortable as i am quite tall.:bicycle:

For my adult cycling, I started again in 2005 on a road bike, using it for 20 mile daily commutes and the L2B in 206 (3hr 45 m), then changed to a BSo full suss for £50. Changing jobs and work allowed me to get a lfat bar hybrid (stolen at the local station) a gents Tourer (flatbar), then a flatbar tandem! Following 4 years of local touring a change back to Carrera flatbar, and now, just this month a drop bar for commuting. The flatbar Carrera is now for sale, and I will stay with the road bike.

Johnno260

Veteran
I used to do martial arts for fitness, but due to injury I had to quit, I decided to cycle as it didn't aggravate my injury.

I tried a drop bar bike, but I couldn't get to grips with the riding position, I tried the hybrid and immediately felt more stable and safer, also being more upright I felt I had a better view of the road.

Also from a durability point of view it felt the better option as the roads near me are shocking, and have still cost me wheels and tyres on a hybrid.

I manage 20-25 mile rides on my hybrid fairly easily, and I am happy with the times.

I really want to try a drop bar again, as I want to do longer rides, I am not looking to compete I cycle for fun and fitness I just don't know if I can make the transition.

If I can continue increasing my road mileage with no adverse effects is it worth sticking with the hybrid?

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I manage 20-25 mile rides on my hybrid fairly easily, and I am happy with the times.

I really want to try a drop bar again, as I want to do longer rides, I am not looking to compete I cycle for fun and fitness I just don't know if I can make the transition.

If I can continue increasing my road mileage with no adverse effects is it worth sticking with the hybrid?
As I'm sure I've written elsewhere, yes. If you want to make longer rides easier, there may be things you can do to make the hybrid roll more easily, be slightly lighter and offer a comfortable more aerodynamic position for those times you'd trade some of the view of the road for less wind resistance. However, I've done a slightly lumpy 100 miles on a hybrid (and a fairly flat 97) and it was comfortable enough - but a similar 100 on my Dutchie was more comfortable and a different 100 on an old road bike was easier.

Johnno260

Veteran
As I'm sure I've written elsewhere, yes. If you want to make longer rides easier, there may be things you can do to make the hybrid roll more easily, be slightly lighter and offer a comfortable more aerodynamic position for those times you'd trade some of the view of the road for less wind resistance. However, I've done a slightly lumpy 100 miles on a hybrid (and a fairly flat 97) and it was comfortable enough - but a similar 100 on my Dutchie was more comfortable and a different 100 on an old road bike was easier.

Hi thanks for the reply, I had to replace my wheels due to pot hole damage, I spoke with the LBS and I had better wheels fitted that were lighter etc, also my brakes are getting changed for better/lighter options.

Is the other option to add a longer stem? so basically stretch myself out and making the reach longer? or bar ends?

Sorry for the questions I am new, also I thought it good to ask in case it helps others.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Is the other option to add a longer stem? so basically stretch myself out and making the reach longer? or bar ends?

Sorry for the questions I am new, also I thought it good to ask in case it helps others.
No need to apologise. Get low more than stretch out but the main thing is probably either bar ends, or swept/raked handlebars that offer a choice between sat up and stretched forwards, which might mean you want a new stem - my hybrid had an adjustable stem on it, which enabled lots of tweaking at no added cost. Most hybrids seem to have wide and fairly heavy riser bars on them.

Then the next best is probably simple weight-saving like switching what's currently fitted for no/lighter rack and no/lighter guards if possible.

Johnno260

Veteran
No need to apologise. Get low more than stretch out but the main thing is probably either bar ends, or swept/raked handlebars that offer a choice between sat up and stretched forwards, which might mean you want a new stem - my hybrid had an adjustable stem on it, which enabled lots of tweaking at no added cost. Most hybrids seem to have wide and fairly heavy riser bars on them.

Then the next best is probably simple weight-saving like switching what's currently fitted for no/lighter rack and no/lighter guards if possible.

Fantastic thank you very much, I think mine has an adjustable stem, I would need to check, I will have a look at the other options you mentioned as well.

Kernow Cyclista

I resisted a drop handlebar bike for months after my hubby suggested it. I felt intimidated by the lower position and thought I might feel unstable. So we went to our LBS to try one out. The shop gave me a Trek Lexa SLX to ride and it was a complete revelation to me! Straightaway I felt stable, comfortable and safe. So... I bought it. Pretty soon I found I wasn't taking my hybrid out anymore so I sold it. That was a year ago and now I'm wondering about going fully carbon... with drop bars of course...:rolleyes:

Top Bottom