Did you change from Hybrid to Drop Bar Bike

First bike a Hybrid/Flat Bar. Have you changed to a Drop Bar Bike?

• Use hybrid/flat bar only

Votes: 481 40.9%
  • Use both a hybrid/flat bar and drop bar bike

Votes: 487 41.4%
  • Use drop bar bike only

Votes: 206 17.5%
  • Don't/Can't ride anymore

Votes: 5 0.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Velominati

I did decide to buy myself a hybrid bike but for some reason I walked out of the shop with a mountain bike, to me there isn't a great deal of difference. anyhow, I enjoy riding trails and canal paths etc. but after todays ride and all of the hazards that I encountered with mother nature, I'm seriously thinking about buying my first drop bar bike, I'm thinking that cyclocross looks like fun.

RobWard

Reading these comments have scared me a little to change to drops. I always had drops from about 15yrs old to 25yrs. Now after my 20yr gap, I'm on a hybrid. But WAS looking forward to the day of getting a drop bike lol

Johnno260

Veteran
Reading these comments have scared me a little to change to drops. I always had drops from about 15yrs old to 25yrs. Now after my 20yr gap, I'm on a hybrid. But WAS looking forward to the day of getting a drop bike lol

I have never had a dropped bar bike, but I am still getting one.

After getting a Hybrid and catching the bug to ride I really want to get a bike with drops, long rides with the Hybrid I find harsh on the wrists even with bar ends (which I am not a fan of)

Give one a test ride and see how you feel.

RobWard

I have never had a dropped bar bike, but I am still getting one.

After getting a Hybrid and catching the bug to ride I really want to get a bike with drops, long rides with the Hybrid I find harsh on the wrists even with bar ends (which I am not a fan of)

Give one a test ride and see how you feel.

Yes, my wrist have been hurting today after my 20+ mile bike ride on the hybrid. But there again, So is the rest of my body! Lol

Johnno260

Veteran
Yes, my wrist have been hurting today after my 20+ mile bike ride on the hybrid. But there again, So is the rest of my body! Lol

haha I was the same, with regards to wrists check where your brake levers are positioned if you are bending the wrists back then it can lend to wrist pain.

Also bar ends helped with some better grips, I got gloves with better padding it all helped.

Don't let comments put you off with regards to getting a drop bar bike, Evans do test rides I think, failing that try the LBS and see if they're cool with you taking a bike for a whirl.

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
Been 'back' cycling for 3 and a half years.
Never owned (Or wanted) a drop bar bike as the riding position looks uncomfortable bent over double like that.
If anything, I have gone 'more hybrid' with yesterday's purchase of a Specialized Roll Elite.
Love the upright position.
Average trip around 20 miles, have been up to 55.
Love the fact that you are not restricted by terrain when on a hybrid.
Roadies..road runs out, turn around, go back the way you came skinny tyre boy.

GuyBoden

Guru
Your body weigh is distributed more evenly between the handle bars, pedals and saddle when using drop handle bar positions.

Your body weight is mainly on the saddle when using an upright position with flat handle bars.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Your body weigh is distributed more evenly between the handle bars, pedals and saddle when using drop handle bar positions.

Your body weight is mainly on the saddle when using an upright position with flat handle bars.
Do NOT put much weight on the bars, else you will be in a world of pain sooner or later. Most of the weight should be split between saddle and pedals.

SuperHans123

3 and half years of cycling and about 6 thousand or so miles and I still love my hybrid.
Will never, ever get a road bike, love having a view on the world and couldn't care less about speed etc

SuperHans123

Never say never :smile:
Think I would know by now if I would.
Dislike the whole ethos of it; seems to not focus on fun and enjoyment and more on putting your head down, dressing like a magic marker and beating Strava sectionals.
No ta. Would rather look at the view and enjoy myself.
Also, I prefer to cycle alone with my own thoughts at my own pace (Slow).
This would not fit with the roadie mentality.

Bit of drop bar snobbery going on methinksnever had a flat bar hybrid myself but old mtb with twist grips has done me proud and bombproof. Some people are probably mixing up long distance 'countryside' road conditions with the travails of inner city riding.

vickster

Legendary Member
Think I would know by now if I would.
Dislike the whole ethos of it; seems to not focus on fun and enjoyment and more on putting your head down, dressing like a magic marker and beating Strava sectionals.
No ta. Would rather look at the view and enjoy myself.
Also, I prefer to cycle alone with my own thoughts at my own pace (Slow).
This would not fit with the roadie mentality.
Have you never encountered a drop bar tourer? Not all drop bar bikes are made of carbon and expensive components and electro whizzery and ridden by MAMILs

Did this yesterday, there was no speed involved at any point, all three of us women on drop bar bikes

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/monopoly-board-ride.210673/post-4583727

You would appear to be projecting your own stereotypes where they may not exist

Last edited:

SuperHans123

Have you never encountered a drop bar tourer? Not all drop bar bikes are made of carbon and expensive components and electro whizzery and ridden by MAMILs

Did this yesterday, there was no speed involved at any point, all three of us women on drop bar bikes

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/monopoly-board-ride.210673/post-4583727

You would appear to be projecting your own stereotypes where they may not exist
Thanks for the free psychiatry session.
Did a circular around the Gower this morning. (Beautiful day)
Mooching down Vennaway Lane..three roadies approaching..my usual cheery 'Morning'..nothing, just blanked me, just lost in their own roadie world. (Lane is a little wider than two cars)
I just don't fancy being bent over double when I am doing something I enjoy when I have a choice not to.

20161204_085633.jpg
20161204_085656.jpg
20161204_085701.jpg
20161204_100757.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom