Did you change from Hybrid to Drop Bar Bike

First bike a Hybrid/Flat Bar. Have you changed to a Drop Bar Bike?

• Use hybrid/flat bar only

Votes: 481 40.9%
  • Use both a hybrid/flat bar and drop bar bike

Votes: 487 41.4%
  • Use drop bar bike only

Votes: 207 17.6%
  • Don't/Can't ride anymore

Votes: 5 0.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
I've got both an MTB and a road bike. I don't have any issues in using either.

For longer and faster rides the drop bars are best. There is a choice of hand positions to use whilst riding. You can also get through narrower gaps if necessary.

I find the flat bars give a bit more control at low speed - handy for rough tracks.

Your own preference probably depends on what your are used to.

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
4 Years back cycling.
About 8500 miles.
All on a selection of hybrids.
Zero back pain.
Lovely comfy view of the world and much more fun than staring at an inch of tyre, scared you are going to be hit up the arse by some white van man simultaneously texting and vaping whilst you are trying to get KOM from Tesco Express to the kebab shop.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
4 Years back cycling.
About 8500 miles.
All on a selection of hybrids.
Zero back pain.
Lovely comfy view of the world and much more fun than staring at an inch of tyre, scared you are going to be hit up the arse by some white van man simultaneously texting and vaping whilst you are trying to get KOM from Tesco Express to the kebab shop.

Hybrid or drop bar - makes no difference. Does it?

SuperHans123

Hybrid or drop bar - makes no difference. Does it?
Cycle paths my friend.
I can cycle around 33 miles from my front door without touching a road.
And still roadies take their life into their own hands on the second busiest in Wales narrow Mumbles road in Swansea missing out on some amazing seaside views on the adjacent, excellently maintained wide cycle path.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
I would love in many ways to have a hybrid bike and a pleasant pootle along a towpath or off-road cycle route to work. Unfortunately although NCR5 runs right past my house it is so circuitous that it is much more practical to cycle along the busy roads instead, even though there are a number of unpleasant junctions requiring a bit of pushiness/luck to negotiate.

Seeing as I want to spend as little time as possible on the roads a road bike is the fastest, and therefore best option.

SuperHans123

When I was wanting a CX/Tourer and was deciding about the drop bar V flat bar issue everyone I spoke to said get the drops and I'd not had a drop bar bike since I was 15. Anyway they were right, a drop bar bike is better for longer rides as you have more hand positions.
I also think a tourer is much better for general riding about than a mountain bike and I've had loads of mountain bikes.I've never had a flat bar hybrid.
Your not bent double on a road bike either if you get the right fit.
I have plenty of hand positions with my ergon grips.
Also, I prefer bars that have a rise as opposed to the dead flat ones you see on a Boardman hybrid for example.
On balance I think I still prefer comfort, safety and looking at the world compared to a razor sharp saddle and a load of knobheads up your arse every two seconds in big metal death machines.

youngoldbloke

I have plenty of hand positions with my ergon grips.
Also, I prefer bars that have a rise as opposed to the dead flat ones you see on a Boardman hybrid for example.
On balance I think I still prefer comfort, safety and looking at the world compared to a razor sharp saddle and a load of knobheads up your arse every two seconds in big metal death machines.
You'd have a problem where I live - the nearest cycle path is at least 10 miles away, and you'd have trouble if you wanted to ride anywhere else. As for comments about comfort, razor sharp saddles etc etc etc.... BIG yawn. Have you ever ridden a bike with drop bars?

youngoldbloke

I rode a 'hybrid' once - a Raleigh Trent, got it around 1958, I changed to dropped bars after 3 or 4 years and have used them ever since - and 'razor sharp' saddles, without any detrimental effects on my health whatsoever - and, incredibly, I've managed to ride on cycle tracks, towpaths and all sorts of surfaces, and be comfortable and see where I'm going too. :excl:

SuperHans123

You'd have a problem where I live - the nearest cycle path is at least 10 miles away, and you'd have trouble if you wanted to ride anywhere else. As for comments about comfort, razor sharp saddles etc etc etc.... BIG yawn. Have you ever ridden a bike with drop bars?
Good job I don't live where you live then. Not that I don't ride on roads, I do but generally ones down the Gower that are pretty safe and only when my 17 stone heft carries me further than the cycle paths last.
I tried a road bike around 6 or 7 years ago...really really didn't get on with the riding position or bars or brake lever positions or gears or anything really.
Love the sit up and beg position and as much as it hurts roadies, road bikes ARE NOT for everyone.
Not everyone transitions from a hybrid to a road bike.
In fact, I have just transitioned to better and better hybrids since returning to cycling 4 years ago.

youngoldbloke

Good job I don't live where you live then. Not that I don't ride on roads, I do but generally ones down the Gower that are pretty safe and only when my 17 stone heft carries me further than the cycle paths last.
I tried a road bike around 6 or 7 years ago...really really didn't get on with the riding position or bars or brake lever positions or gears or anything really.
Love the sit up and beg position and as much as it hurts roadies, road bikes ARE NOT for everyone.
Not everyone transitions from a hybrid to a road bike.
In fact, I have just transitioned to better and better hybrids since returning to cycling 4 years ago.
It's a personal thing. In fact one of my regular riding partners rides a flat bar bike - a £2K full carbon Ultegra equipped Trek. She seems to get on with it quite well!

SuperHans123

I am happy to see anyone out cycling.
Although it has been nice and quiet around here in the winter months.
Would say I have enjoyed night cycling more than daytime since the clocks went back.

Top Bottom