Did you change from Hybrid to Drop Bar Bike

First bike a Hybrid/Flat Bar. Have you changed to a Drop Bar Bike?

• Use hybrid/flat bar only

Votes: 481 40.9%
  • Use both a hybrid/flat bar and drop bar bike

Votes: 487 41.4%
  • Use drop bar bike only

Votes: 205 17.4%
  • Don't/Can't ride anymore

Votes: 5 0.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smudge

Veteran
Ride both, drops and flats.
Probably feel more in control with flats and flats are a bit more comfortable than drops, although i appreciate the extra hand positions of drops. I also like the narrow width of drops for filtering in traffic. Drop bars have to be set high enough for me though, i always reverse the stem and have the top of the bars and the hoods level with my seat.
Where flat bars excel though, is the braking compared to drops.
Advantages and disadvantages to each imo.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Used to have a Boardman Hybrid and sold it to my son in law as it was hurting my wrists after a while so I only use drop bars now and my hands are fine.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
i appreciate the extra hand positions of drops. I also like the narrow width of drops for filtering in traffic. Drop bars have to be set high enough for me though, i always reverse the stem and have the top of the bars and the hoods level with my seat..

Before the idiotic roadie fashion for stem-slamming took hold, it was considered perfectly normal to set drop bars at the same level, or nearly so, as the saddle. Head down, arse-up, riding was restricted to racing cyclists, now you even see some urban cummuters on flat-bar road bikes emulating the same style!

Smudge

Veteran
Before the idiotic roadie fashion for stem-slamming took hold, it was considered perfectly normal to set drop bars at the same level, or nearly so, as the saddle. Head down, arse-up, riding was restricted to racing cyclists, now you even see some urban cummuters on flat-bar road bikes emulating the same style!

Yep, i dont get it either.....
The sales pics of almost every drop bar bike on sale now (and flat bar bikes come to that) have the seat so ridiculously higher than the bars, that i'd have to be a contortionist to ride a bike with those ergos.
But what do i care, I know what fits me and i know what i'm comfortable with. That's all i care about.

Smudge

Veteran
Used to have a Boardman Hybrid and sold it to my son in law as it was hurting my wrists after a while so I only use drop bars now and my hands are fine.

With flat bars that are virtually straight, i always add bar ends to give an extra hand position. Even if its just the small bar ends of Ergon type grips.
In fact, its become a necessity now with my hand osteoarthritis.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
With flat bars that are virtually straight, i always add bar ends to give an extra hand position. Even if its just the small bar ends of Ergon type grips.
In fact, its become a necessity now with my hand osteoarthritis.
I did add bar ends but it made no difference.

Jimmeee

Regular
I've ridden bikes since I was a kid so probably not a 'beginner'. Usually drop handlebars but in the last couple of years I'm finding that I like a much more upright riding position. Drop bars tend to make me lean forward putting more weight onto my wrists

newts

Veteran
I returned after 35 years with little or no cycling, occasionally with the kids as they were growing up. Instinct thought that hybrid/flat bar was a safer bet for my unfit & immobile physique. After a few weeks of seeing so many cyclists on road bikes, my curiosity got the better of me & a secondhand road bike was purchased. More hand positions providing more comfort was the biggest bonus & longer trips soon followed.

Thomson

Recently went from hybrid to drops and thought I wouldn’t get on with it. Love being on the hoods still enjoy the drops. Have a good set up on my new bike 2019 cannondale tiagra. Just been setting in my position the last few weeks. Maybe I need seat back or up a bit more or a longer stem. But really enjoying the hoods. Good control and makes me more alert to we’re my hands need to be. Hardest thing ave found is having flat pedals on my work bike. To the wellgo clip pedals. Stopping at junctions etc. Can’t wait till I get clipless pedals next month :-)

durianrider

I started with a mountain bike. Then put slicks on it and then got my first road bike in 1997. It was a blue Easton elite Avanti Corsa with 600 8speed.

Oapil

Original bike was a Raleigh pioneer hybrid. Upgraded it with a used flat handlebar trek dual sport with suspension. I rode it on trails and cycle ways mainly. Then bought a drop bar cyclocross, which took the place of the hybrids.
Have drop bar road bikes for roads. The drop handlebar gear shifts were easier on my arthritic thumb, than the rapid fire shifters on the hybrid. On long distances varying the hand position on the drop handlebars made these rides more comfortable.

To go against the flow..... I had drop bars on my bike as a teenager. As an adult I prefer flats for commuting and touring. Bar ends give enough variety for hand positions on long days. I prefer the higher position for seeing where I'm cycling.

wilko373

My brother is quite an experienced leisure cyclist (has done some cycling holidays & 100m closed road events) who hates drops. His solution is using flat bars fitted with both bar ends and those triathlon / time trial style bars you rest your elbows on - looks like some sort of strange horned creature, but the streamline option is useful into a head wind. A friend of mine borrowed the bike to do London to Amsterdam for charity and raved about it as well.

Top Bottom