Die Diesel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickr

Über Member
I am increasingly worried about air pollution, to the extent that I may stop commuting by bike.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/...ement-avoid-deadly-pollution-warn-scientists/

Why are politicians even talking about diesel scrappage schemes? These ideas can only have come from the motor industry who would benefit most. The most obvious, cheapest and effective way to reduce diesel pollution is to put the tax up on it. This could be done today be done today.

If the government said that it was putting 5p/litre on diesel with immediate effect and that this tax would increased every year, who would buy a new diesel? It might even encourage owners to drive more responsible, actually use their stop/start facilities, drive less etc etc.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I am increasingly worried about air pollution, to the extent that I may stop commuting by bike.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/...ement-avoid-deadly-pollution-warn-scientists/

Why are politicians even talking about diesel scrappage schemes? These ideas can only have come from the motor industry who would benefit most. The most obvious, cheapest and effective way to reduce diesel pollution is to put the tax up on it. This could be done today be done today.

If the government said that it was putting 5p/litre on diesel with immediate effect and that this tax would increased every year, who would buy a new diesel? It might even encourage owners to drive more responsible, actually use their stop/start facilities, drive less etc etc.
That would be penalizing all the people who have a diesel car and bought in good faith due to good fuel consumption and less polluting than petrol cars , out of towns. There is no such thing as pollution free anyway, it is just a matter of controlling it and petrol cars are just as bad. On the other hand, cars are still cleaner now than decades ago.

Milzy

Guru
I'm close to buying a diesel people carrier at the moment. I'm not 100% it's a good idea now though. Won't be doing mass miles but still be cheaper than a petrol one.

That would be penalizing all the people who have a diesel car and bought in good faith due to good fuel consumption and less polluting than petrol cars , out of towns.

Science, and knowledge changes. People bought leaded fuel in good faith, we used asbestos in good faith, we used arsenic in wallpaper in good faith, and so on.

If you have bought a diesel recently then it's your own fault, the issues with diesel have been known for almost 5 years, and I'm surprised the crackdown hasn't come sooner.

GuyBoden

Guru
All the large shipping container ships run on diesel, then diesel trucks/trains are used to move the goods to depots. That's a lot of diesel being used to transport goods around the world and so causing pollution.

Interestingly, Mr Diesel designed his original engine to run on vegetable oil. (Peanuts)

snorri

Legendary Member

This would be a good time to raise these issues with your local conservative candidate!
I spoke to mine regarding problems caused by cars to me as a cyclist. He told me quite clearly that there was nothing that could be done because we are living in the age of the motor car.
An article on page 35 of the current Private Eye confirms that he was merely repeating current Tory policy to love private cars and continue to love them whatever the consequences:sad:.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member

Diesel has been a lot more expensive than it is now, it did not stop people using their cars.

Tom B

Guru

What about trucks, buses and trains where no viable alternative exists?

I bought a Ford Focus turbo diesel dpf fitted car based on the fact 3years ago I was told that it was cleaner than petrol and because of that the road tax is thirty quid a year. With no plugs to change services are a tad cheaper too. I accepted that per litre diesel is generally more expensive but I get slightly better mpg.

I am a person who generally puts 400 quid a year away towards a car and buys a 3-4yera old car (thanks pcpers) and keeps it for at least ten years until it is uneconomic to repair.

It was my intention this would be my last conventional diesel / petrol car.

Now the same scientists who told me that diesel was the way to go tell me that I should bin my diesel which has 5-8 Years left and buy a petrol.

I currently spend £30-40 a month on fuel. Mixed suburban and mway gives average 48/52mpg depending on winter/summer diesel. I usually have the roof rack on and often a couple of bikes too.

Why should I be hammered for fuel tax?

What do you propose I do?

If they are convinced diesel must die then then they need to heavily tax new diesel cars. In general they're already more expensive but work out cheaper. You can't simply hit fuel because of lorries, buses and vans.

Incidentally my Mrs has a 1.4 petrol Honda jazz she drives it like it is stolen and gets 47mpg. So I don't necessarily buy the mpg deal. But her Road tax is 140 a year.

Last edited:
What about trucks, buses and trains where no viable alternative exists?

I bought a Ford Focus turbo diesel dpf fitted car based on the fact 3years ago I was told that it was cleaner than petrol and because of that the road tax is thirty quid a year. With no plugs to change services are a tad cheaper too. I accepted that per litre diesel is generally more expensive but I get slightly better mpg.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2013/jan/27/diesel-engine-fumes-worse-petrol
Yet this report was over 4 years ago, and published by the government.

OP
OP
N

nickr

Über Member
As with cigarette smoking, people need leadership from politicians to do the right thing, even if this make them unpopular with those it is educating. As others have said, the dangers of diesel have been know for at least the last 4 years, yet absolutely nothing has been done about it. Hopefully after the election and perhaps with the confidence of a large majority Mrs May may do the right thing.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...s-more-toxic-than-trucks-and-buses-data-shows

Last edited:
U

User33236

My next car will be a diesel, like the previous 3 have been.
Petrol engines do not produce the power & torque characteristics I require whilst maintaining some fuel economy.
On the flip side most of the time my car is parked.
I was going to suggest an American muscle car for torque but then I got to the part about fuel economy :laugh:

I currently own a diesel but my previous car was a Ford Mustang. Tons of torque but needed to stay friends with the bank manager to fuel it.

When I move to Edinburgh in a few weeks my car is going as Mrs SG and I can't justify keeping two. Hers is a little pocket rocket but can still fit two bikes in it , just, with front wheels off.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The worst polluting diesels are the ones that are not properly maintained. Some crap drivers ignore the warning lights on the dash and don't see the cloud of fumes belching out behind. They ought to be penalised.

Lee_M

Guru
i have a diesel, bought years ago when the govt was giving incentives to buy them, now I should be penalised because they've changed their minds?

I was going to suggest an American muscle car for torque but then I got to the part about fuel economy :laugh:

When I move to Edinburgh in a few weeks my car is going as Mrs SG and I can't justify keeping two.

Am I supposed to get rid of one of my vehicles then, since I've got a diesel pick up, a v8 muscle car and a big f-off motorbike?

Top Bottom