Die Diesel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Probably not changed much. The resistive loss is still I squared R, after all.
Mercury arc rectifiers? Actually pretty efficient, and were used up until they were replaced by solid-state thyristors and such like in the 1970s.
The issue wasn't so much inefficiency, but more reliability and health issues related to ruddy great pools of mercury.
One gets nostalgic.

swansonj

Guru
@swansonj, is this correct?
No, nothing like, but i see that while i've spent a day out of contact with tbe interwebs, other people have corrected it quite satisfactorily already.

swansonj

Guru
T
Has it much improved in the last 50 years? .. I suspect my figure comes from talking to great uncle Ken who worked on the grid back in the days of mercury arc rectifiers.
The transmission loss - the 1.6% lost on the high-voltage supergrid - has probably gone up over the years to reach tbat current value. The oil crisis of the 1970s increased the average distance electricity has to travel as we started using more coal in tbe north; that trend has probably reversed, though, in the last ten years . But we are also getting better at pumping more electricity down existing wires rather than building new wires, and as losses are proportional to current squared, they have probably increased. But it's all a bit irrelevant compared to generation efficiency, which has increased considerably. CCGTs do 50% compared to old coal stations <30% which rather outweighs changes in the second significant figure of one point something percent.

Davidc

Guru
The problem is actually the concentration of pollutants in our towns and cities.

The only solution is to massively reduce vehicle use, and shift the pollution away from people.

More walking and cycling = improved general health from lower pollution + improved health from exercise + more pleasant places with less noise and traffic.

Electric and hybrid vehicles, including trams, move the emissions away from people to where they do less harm, night time deliveries help reduce most people's exposure.

As demonstrated by the vehicle bans in Paris at times of dangerous air pollution, the problem is almost entirely down to private vehicle exhausts - so how about a pollution charge on all non-electric private vehicles entering cities and towns. £50 per day for a start might do the job. Proceeds to be used to build electric tram infrastructure, park and ride facilities, and research into how to build tram tracks that bike wheels don't get stuck in!

Won't happen with weak and timid political leadership like ours, dead people don't complain much.

and research into how to build tram tracks that bike wheels don't get stuck in!

They should have a platform infill in the gap of the tram track. Some nice heavy springs that the weight of a person cannot press it down, but depress as the tram rolls over it.

When do you want to start your £50 per day? Want my PayPal? :hyper:

The problem is actually the concentration of pollutants in our towns and cities.

The only solution is to massively reduce vehicle use, and shift the pollution away from people.

More walking and cycling = improved general health from lower pollution + improved health from exercise + more pleasant places with less noise and traffic.

Electric and hybrid vehicles, including trams, move the emissions away from people to where they do less harm, night time deliveries help reduce most people's exposure.

As demonstrated by the vehicle bans in Paris at times of dangerous air pollution, the problem is almost entirely down to private vehicle exhausts - so how about a pollution charge on all non-electric private vehicles entering cities and towns. £50 per day for a start might do the job. Proceeds to be used to build electric tram infrastructure, park and ride facilities, and research into how to build tram tracks that bike wheels don't get stuck in!

Won't happen with weak and timid political leadership like ours, dead people don't complain much.

We fought against a tram system locally, and it was eventually replaced by buses

The systems are inflexible, often inappropriately routed and remove other transport services

Where there was a comprehensive system of routes, many were removed to force individuals on to the Bus system.

Many people who caught buses now drive because the trip to the bus stop is now impractical or inconvenient

subaqua

What’s the point
The biggest problem is that Duty is worked out on CO2 alone, whereas it should be on CO2 ,NO2 SO2 and particulate matter.

The new CPZ by us means if I get a petrol next as it has lower of the last 3 it costs 3 times more to park ( when it's not polluting) because it has a large CO2 output , buy a killer dieseasel and the CO2 is low and the charge for the CPZ is peanuts.

Sadly I still need a car for some journeys . I just can't get my dive kit to Plymouth on train . I have tried .....

I am Spartacus

Über Member
The biggest problem is that Duty is worked out on CO2 alone, whereas it should be on CO2 ,NO2 SO2 and particulate matter.

The new CPZ by us means if I get a petrol next as it has lower of the last 3 it costs 3 times more to park ( when it's not polluting) because it has a large CO2 output , buy a killer dieseasel and the CO2 is low and the charge for the CPZ is peanuts.

Sadly I still need a car for some journeys . I just can't get my dive kit to Plymouth on train . I have tried .....
Man-s-Latex-Bodysuit-without-hood-with-short-sleeves-and-short-pants-Sexy-Tight-font-b.jpg

subaqua

What’s the point
That's no good for UK diving....

Top Bottom