Die Diesel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
i have a diesel, bought years ago when the govt was giving incentives to buy them, now I should be penalised because they've changed their minds?

No, because we have since found out that it was harmful, we learned about different types of pollution from vehicles that we wasn't aware of previously. Knowledge is always changing, as I posted before, there are many things we thought was safe, that turned out to be dangerous.

Lee_M

Guru
I am increasingly worried about air pollution, to the extent that I may stop commuting by bike.

It might even encourage owners to drive more responsible, actually use their stop/start facilities, drive less etc etc.

I am increasingly worried about tree huggers who think the world should conform to what they personally worry about without any thought about practicalities of life
My truck doesnt have stop start, and I wont be paying £30k to buy a ridiculous wee electric car that can only go 50 miles and carry nothing

Lee_M

Guru
No, because we have since found out that it was harmful, we learned about different types of pollution from vehicles that we wasn't aware of previously. Knowledge is always changing, as I posted before, there are many things we thought was safe, that turned out to be dangerous.

But the OP thinks we should. I just wonder how he thinks we'll replace what diesel engines actually do in this world

I am increasingly worried about air pollution, to the extent that I may stop commuting by bike.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/...ement-avoid-deadly-pollution-warn-scientists/

Why are politicians even talking about diesel scrappage schemes? These ideas can only have come from the motor industry who would benefit most. The most obvious, cheapest and effective way to reduce diesel pollution is to put the tax up on it. This could be done today be done today.

If the government said that it was putting 5p/litre on diesel with immediate effect and that this tax would increased every year, who would buy a new diesel? It might even encourage owners to drive more responsible, actually use their stop/start facilities, drive less etc etc.

Rather than divert the debate from the real problem of inappropriate vehicle use to diesel, why not institute this for ALL vehicles?

U

User33236

i have a diesel, bought years ago when the govt was giving incentives to buy them, now I should be penalised because they've changed their minds?

Am I supposed to get rid of one of my vehicles then, since I've got a diesel pick up, a v8 muscle car and a big f-off motorbike?
Nope, your needs and priorities are unique to you and entirely your choice.

Between Mrs SG and myself we drove a grand total of 3521 miles in 2016 and there was nver one point where two cars were needed. Once I move my diesel will become unnecessary and so will go. I rather spend the money on n+1 :bicycle:

The the reality is that we have known for years that the combustion engine in all its forms is dangerous

We have known for many years that the majority of journeys are less than 1 1/2 miles and could easily be tackled on foot or by bike

However instead of tackling this we came up with a scheme tat Diesel was more acceptable as it used less fuel on the unnecessary journeys than petrol so there were incentives to buy diesel

Now we are scapegoating diesel and promoting petrol use as the "good" option

Drago

Legendary Member
Whichever government is incumbent simply won't want to alientate voters. They'd rather people continue to die in their tens of thousands each year than do something meaningful immediately which would cost them votes.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm intrigued by this idea of fairness, how being unfair to people who bought diesels recently and in good faith is somehow more important than the 30,000 or more people snuffing it annually.

I actually have every sympathy with them, but their financial inconvenience is enormously outweighed by the death their emissions create. Sadly, politicians can't see beyond the next election so the voices of diesel owners will probably listened to more than the death rattles of the victims.

We're saddled with a political system where the will to do the right thing is suppressed by the desire to garner votes.

Slick

Guru
I have mixed feelings about the whole thing, probably like most, they change the more I start to understand the whole debate. My problem is, whilst I had heard of some issues that I didn't fully understand 18 months ago, I spent a lot of cash on a fairly sizeable diesel powered car. I was invited back to the dealership a month or two ago, and was surprised to see that almost every vehicle he had for sale was the same diesel powered variant. If you look at the 40K plus market at the moment, it's top heavy with diesel engines and they are still selling them in high numbers. I can't ignore one particular section on my commute when I drop down off a railway bridge in a built up area, especially on a nice day when you can actually taste the change in the air but I'm not sure if it's particularly diesel over petrol that's in the air. Long and short, from what I see, it's going to take years before we see the back of diesel.

This less harmful BioDiesel can be used in any diesel engine with no need for any modifications.

Not true, not all diesel cars are immediately compatible with biodisels, some do require a 50% blend with regular diesel too.

While the vast majority are compatible, it's not ANY, and as such any advice such as yours, should be followed with a reminder to check their specific vehicle is ok with it first.

Top Bottom