Diesel Exhaust Fluid (Ad-Blue) - Taking the pee?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My newish diesel car needed the Ad-Blue tank topping up for the first time today. According to Wikipedia what I'm putting in the tank is about 1/3rd urea and 2/3rds water.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_exhaust_fluid

If I were to pee into the tank and dilute it would that do the same job?!
Yes, but you have to load up on some blue sambucca fist.

Slick

Guru
First I've heard of a car taking this additive. Can you buy it at fuel stations as you fill up per usual?

Slick

Guru
It's usually topped up as part of dealer service . Yes you can buy it from fuel stations as lorries use quite a bit .
I ran trucks for some time and bought ad blu by the cubic metre. Trucks require it almost every fill and certainly every second, unless things have changed in the past 3 years. I remember my dad now telling me his car required pigs pee during a service but I never linked it to add blue.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
It's the ammonia in it, I believe. It sticks to the carbon particles and makes them big enough to be filtered out.
I generally top up my truck with between 5 and 15 litres a day, base on 300 to 500 km driven.

Car-wise, I can't help you, apart from saying that 5l containers are available at lots of service stations.

Tommy2

Über Member
Not sure if your car is the same but don't ignore the top up warning, because on Mercedes if it gets to the second warning that says 'car will not start in xxx miles' then it needs to be reset on in the workshop which is understandably chargeable.

It's the ammonia in it, I believe. It sticks to the carbon particles and makes them big enough to be filtered out.
I generally top up my truck with between 5 and 15 litres a day, base on 300 to 500 km driven.

Car-wise, I can't help you, apart from saying that 5l containers are available at lots of service stations.

Something like that but not quite. The carbon particles are trapped by the particulate filter. Every so now and then the engine runs richer so that the particulate filter can heat up and burn the carbon off as Carbon Dioxide. After the filter, some urea (as source of ammonia) is sprayed into the exhaust stream just before it goes into a platinum catalyst unit where the NOx (nitrous oxides) are converted into pure nitrogen and water. The NOx are the real dangerous stuff and that's where the VW cheating happened. Under testing, the car sensed that it was being tested and then didn't use the extra fuel to heat up the catalysis unit and just spewed up the unaltered NOx.

I'm surprised at how much of the urea the trucks use. Is the stuff expensive?

Top Bottom