Diesel Exhaust Fluid (Ad-Blue) - Taking the pee?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
My diesel Focus being of a certain age (2009) has an onboard DPF additive tank under the rear axle that required* filling every 70000 miles or so, the filler cap has a little magnet inside it that triggered a reed sensor and dose once the cap was closed (normally after a fill up) Eventually the DPF(not present in car when I bought it) additive and regeneration process that were not mapped out of the cars ECU caused it to spectacularly seize and grind to a halt, taking the turbo with it in the process. Cue a lot of expenditure later(engine and turbo replacement,and for some reason the ECU and associated programming) and a broken additive control module that led to more expenditure getting another mapper with the proper code knowhow to completely turn the system off.

Yes they are very much taking the pee, the govt line used to be "buy diesels they're great" EU bs laws have choked them and just made them more complicated to work on and dearer to fix. In years to come, Adblue will also become the devil.

Petrol is king, especially when you're putting it in a motorbike :bicycle:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
A truck will go into 'limp home' mode. ie, it will still move, but very slowly, probably to be able to get it out of the way. I don't know if any other expensive problems occur. I'll ask our VMU on Monday when I go back to w*rk.

U

User6179

I am such a townie, I have never seen that.

He is only joking.
When the sheep get took in for milking they collect it then .

T.M.H.N.E.T

[QUOTE 4773461, member: 9609"]I have been told by quite a few that Adblue problems are accounting for most vehicle downtime. I think quite a few hauliers have the system removed / deleted as soon as they are out of warranty. Its a crazy concept that the laws that surround these anti pollution devices only exist to ensure they are fitted at manufacture, once you have bought the vehicle you can take them off.[/QUOTE]
Ah ha! This is not the case of DPF's, a very similar system to adblue. MOT testers were required from 2/14 to visually check for the presence of a DPF which meant a fail if none was found. It has been entirely possible to "gut" the DPF cannister, remove the filter medium and map it out.

And as of May 17

http://garagewire.co.uk/news/mot-changes-to-be-introduced-in-may-following-dpf-investigation/

Last edited:

T.M.H.N.E.T

[QUOTE 4773494, member: 9609"]That is great news and about time too. It is utterly ridiculous the amount of anti pollution devices that have been removed, and especially since removing the DPF could be creating more particulate pollution than before DPFs were invented; Part of the anti pollution design is to cool the cylinder in slow moving traffic with coolers in the EGR, this cooling reduces NOx but massively increases particulates hence the main role of the DPF. So just removing the DPF is disastrous for pedestrians and cyclists in places of slow moving traffic, they are creating more particulate pollution than before.[/QUOTE]
Then they build up soot and burn it off in great black clouds during an active regeneration + using more fuel to do it. It's not all great and "green"

One has to wonder if a system to cure the problem of another system of another system etc etc is really the way forward when modern petrol engines are soo much better (think 3cyl Ford Ecoboost)

My sisters petrol Nissan Juke is sensible in "Normal" mode but great fun in "sport" and only sniffs fuel. Ahh I'll be driving it next week since my own dirty diesel is broke again :shy:

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
Then they build up soot and burn it off in great black clouds during an active regeneration + using more fuel to do it. It's not all great and "green"

One has to wonder if a system to cure the problem of another system of another system etc etc is really the way forward when modern petrol engines are soo much better (think 3cyl Ford Ecoboost)

My sisters petrol Nissan Juke is sensible in "Normal" mode but great fun in "sport" and only sniffs fuel. Ahh I'll be driving it next week since my own dirty diesel is broke again :shy:
Got to be the ugliest car in the road though.

Top Bottom