Dieting at work

kimolsen

New Member
I would like to lose a few pounds by eating a little better and getting the bike out more often. After have a little girl 10 months ago i have found it difficult to get out on the bike due to lack of time and energy, resulting in weight gain.

I am planning to cut out bread totally for a few weeks and see what happens. The problem is knowing what to eat in order to sustain a balanced diet.

Bear in mind that i am a Sales Manager so i spend all my time in the car with no access to a microwave.

Breakfast- A bowl of muesli with semi skimmed milk or Ready Brek.

Lunch-???? What can people recommend?? I could either take a packed lunch or call in at a supermarket.

Evening Meal- Grilled Salmon with salad and a Jacket Potato with Cottage Cheese or Pasta.

Any other recommendations??

Snacks- 2 apples, a friend told me that apples are full of sugar and should be avoided is this true?

1 banana and a cereal bar.

I am wanting to lose as much as possible before i go away in 4 weeks time. I do like a few beers and maybe a curry at weekends as i see this as a reward for the hard work in the week.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.
 

screenman

Legendary Member
Looks a bit much to me, however I am certainly not a proffesional. Type that lot into My Daily Plate and it will let you know what it all adds up too. Muesli, cereal bars, sounds all a bit too sugary.

I find apples make me feel hungry, if you do feel this way after having one try eating a just a couple of almonds after it this seems to do the trick,
 

ASC1951

Guru
Location
Yorkshire
I find I can't lose weight if I eat bread. It's not so much the bread, it's what I put on it. I have wholemeal pittas instead.

I think you should have a larger breakfast and less in the evening. I start the day with muesli, but make my own so it doesn't have any sugar or dried fruit but does have lots of seeds especially linseed and sesame seeds. You don't need the cereal bar and if you are trying to lose weight you cannot afford the 'few beers at the weekend'.

Probably all you need to do is to eat less. That is easier if you avoid tinned or processed food and the obviously calorie-dense foods like cheese. I find it helps a lot to go for a short run - just 2-3 miles - first thing in the morning.

There is nothing mysterious about a balanced diet. It's all here, for instance http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/healthyeating/a-healthy-varied-diet
- or, as a recent book put it, "eat proper food, mainly plants, not too much".
 

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Location
Under the Edge
Take lunch, don't pop into a supermarket - then you aren't tempted by all the high calorie stuff next to the lower calorie stuff you should be buying.

(And remember that 'low fat' stuff in supermarkets may be low fat but usually isn't low sugar as well!).
 

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
ASC1951 said:
I start the day with muesli, but make my own so it doesn't have any sugar or dried fruit but does have lots of seeds especially linseed and sesame seeds. You don't need the cereal bar and if you are trying to lose weight you cannot afford the 'few beers at the weekend'.

There is nothing mysterious about a balanced diet. It's all here, for instance http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/healthyeating/a-healthy-varied-diet
- or, as a recent book put it, "eat proper food, mainly plants, not too much".

+1 - make sure the muesli has no added sugar, and check the sugar and fat content of everything you eat. Use skimmed milk, and low fat cottage cheese. Have you checked out the calories in those 'few beers'?
 
Buy a Brompton, stick it in the back of the car and ride some of the way to your sales meetings (you're less likely to be late too!) It's probably the most time-effective way of fitting in riding with your hectic lifestyle. I do this on lots of occasions (although I don't do meetings in my work) and avoid parking fees/tickets and feel generally much fitter and happier for it. And I imagine turning up with a Brommie would be quite a good 'ice-breaker' when meeting new clients.
 

ASC1951

Guru
Location
Yorkshire
TheBoyBilly said:
It's probably the most time-effective way of fitting in riding with your hectic lifestyle.
I would put in a vote for running. It takes me a couple of hours to get serious exercise on a bike, but half an hour running is enough to produce the wobbly legs and the throbbing heart.

You can usually find time before breakfast and then that is exercise for the day ticked, whatever you do in the evening. And exercise first thing is much more effective for weight and mood control.
 

beancounter

Well-Known Member
Location
South Beds
kimolsen said:
I do like a few beers and maybe a curry at weekends as i see this as a reward for the hard work in the week.
Yeah, this is my weakness too.

Believe me, anything you lose during the week will go back on at the weekend. It's very dispiriting.

If you want to lose weight you have to be disciplined ALL week.

bc
 

Geordie5

New Member
Location
Aberdeen
screenman said:
Looks a bit much to me, however I am certainly not a proffesional. Type that lot into My Daily Plate and it will let you know what it all adds up too. Muesli, cereal bars, sounds all a bit too sugary.

I find apples make me feel hungry, if you do feel this way after having one try eating a just a couple of almonds after it this seems to do the trick,

+1 My fitness pal and mynetdiary do similar. Worth a look initially to see if you're eating the right amount of the right foods.
 
OP
K

kimolsen

New Member
Spinney said:
Take lunch, don't pop into a supermarket - then you aren't tempted by all the high calorie stuff next to the lower calorie stuff you should be buying.

(And remember that 'low fat' stuff in supermarkets may be low fat but usually isn't low sugar as well!).

Can you recommend what i should take?
 
Top Bottom