difference between these two bikes please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There are ebikes with the Shimano Alfine 11 which does have better ratios then the seven and eight speeds.

I had one.

Connecting the cable was simple, but only just possible with fingers.

To be sure, you would need to carry a small pair of pin nose pliers.
So shimano 11 is also a pain to reconnect but not as big a pain as shimano 8?

@Pale Rider
https://www.r-m.de/en-gb/models/swing2/swing2-vario/#F00281_0604
I the spec they mention both pinion and enviolo
Thanks?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The pinion in the spec of that bike is a heading, it's how the Germans describe a sprocket.

That bike has an Enviolo/NuVinci pinion - sprocket.

A Rohloff bike described in those terms would have Rohloff pinion, or a Gates one if it had a belt.

The Pinion (capital P) gearbox is a bottom bracket gearbox made by a company called Pinion.

It can be fitted to pushbikes or ebikes.

https://pinion.eu/en/

CXRAndy

Guru
The ratios are almost identical between 8sp and 11sp Shimano hubs. Its only the last 3 gears which give a higher top speed

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
So shimano 11 is also a pain to reconnect but not as big a pain as shimano 8?

I've not done an eight for a while, and they may vary a little bit.

Disconnecting an 11 is a bit of a pain at the roadside, and may not be possible with your fingers, depending on their strength and dexterity.

Most ebikes have puncture resistant tyres, and there's always the option of a Gaadi snake tube which you could fit without taking off the wheel.

Bear in mind you would probably want to remove the old tube completely which would mean slicing it, so you would have to carry a craft knife or similar.

https://gaadi.de/?lang=en

The ratios are almost identical between 8sp and 11sp Shimano hubs. Its only the last 3 gears which give a higher top speed

Yes, I should have said the 11 has a wider ratio spread.

Worth having in my view, although plenty of riders manage happily on an eight speed.

CXRAndy

Guru
I must confess I have an eight speed and it works fine for me, but then I dont have many hills

The Alfine 11 is better suited to flats, so you can take advantage of gears 9 to 11 for higher top speed.

You will have the same lowest gearing on both Alfine 8 or 11
Shimano Alfine-11​
409%0.530.680.770.881.001.131.291.4611.671.892.15
Shimano Inter-8​
307%0.530.640.750.851.001.221.421.62

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
If I was thinking of building a new ebike, wanted everything, power, big tyres, racks and lights. I would look for a single speed or 11 speed Shimano hub donor bike. I would then opt for Bafang BBSHD crank drive.

You could have a super dooper for less than £2k

Its all well and good these top end bikes but £6k is way too much.

I would be happy with 8 speed if wasn't such a pain to put back on. Although I found the gap between gears very annoying. Top speed is irrelevant as I only use it to pull trailers so it is dodgy to cycle to fast (brake to hard and trailer will overtake. The enviolo looks like an obvious way of dealing with the gap between gears. I have used the snake before I think something went wrong with it. Although I can't think what. I nearly always have a pen knife with me. Thanks all

OP
OP
mynydd

mynydd

Veteran
Three weeks in, and I can’t get enough of the Scott sub sport..... it’s making a massive difference to my daily routine.... still getting a decent amount of exercise, just without half killing my self in the final climbs home. Only, minor, issue is battery removal.....
Have tried loads if different methods, and it’s just really really clunky and sometimes takes ages to get it back in. Any advice? I can’t find anything online, and there were no instructions. I can live with it, but just checking I’m not missing anything obvious. Thanks.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm not familiar with the Bosch Powertube frame fixing, but I take it you are aware of the on bike charging port.

Not everyone has a power point near to where they store their bike, but if you do there's no need to remove the battery from one month to the next.

OP
OP
mynydd

mynydd

Veteran
Yes that’s what I normally use, and will continue to.
Wanted to charge it off the bike a few times recently, and was amazed at how poorly thought out the battery mounting was, just wondered if I might be missing something. Thanks

Should do the job.

Out of interest, did you establish if it does have the latest motor?

I wouldn't worry too much charging.

Bosch electrics are properly engineered, making them well behaved.

Unlike some of the cheap Chinese stuff, where sparks literally fly.
I am on my second ebike the battery say that they have Samsung cells the first was definitely Chinese with Samsung cells having said that I never had a problem with them.

Top Bottom