Different handling after fitting panniers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamin100

Guru
Just a quick question but ive recently swithched from a rucksack to pannier system on my boardman hybrid.

I know the weight is now distributed differently but the bike feels a little more twitchy in regards to steering. Nothing major and not enough for me to really worry about it but is it normal for the bike to be like that with panniers?

Edwards80

Über Member
I found the opposite, when I put a lot of weight on the back my bike becomes less twitchy, I guess it depends on the bike. Loading one side more than the other doesn't seem to make much difference though.

GrasB

Veteran
As an ex-owner of a B'man hybrid I know what you mean (ex-owner because van driver decided to run over my bike, nothing to do with rack or panniers). The hybrid doesn't have the most rigid seat tube stays. For this reason if you have heavyish panniers on the back the weight moves around a bit when you turn. The result is the bike feels a little more twitchy as the rack 'flops' to one side as you turn. It's not a problem just a design feature of the bike.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I find it only affects handling if I have a heavy pannier, around 10 KG.

I do seem to be much slower away from the lights, but overall I wouldnt go back to a backpack.

Top Bottom