Different Saddles For Different Bikes OR 1 saddle for them all?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSK

I have a Trek Alpha with a Fizik Aliante saddl which, works fine for me when out riding the Trek.

I tried the Fiziki on the Giant Propel and was surprised that it was immediately painful and no amount of tweaking made much difference.

Appreciating that the geometry between the two bikes is different, with the Trek being sporty but relaxed and the Propel stretching you out and pulling you down more, is it reasonable that a given saddle would work better on one style of bike than another? Or, am I doing something tragically wrong that I am unaware of? I ask as I thought, when folks find 'the' saddle, they move it from bike to bike.

Mrs M

Guru
I have a Specialized BG saddle on the road bike, original was just not comfortable.
Pashley came with a Brooks, very comfy, no need to change. :smile:
The Trek MTB saddle was also one I anticipated the need to change but it has been comfortable from day 1, so a keeper :okay:
Only spend on a new saddle if required.

Reactions: DSK

Slick

Guru
I do use different saddles on all my bikes but the fizik on the steel winter bike is by far the best and I really should invest in another but the other saddles really are not that bad.

Sharky

Guru
I use the same saddle on all 4 of my regular bikes. All set to the same height (pedal at 6 o'clock) to top of the saddle and fore/aft relative to the BB and comfortable on all the bikes.
The tilt is more or less the same, apart from my TT bike, which is tilted down a tad to compensate for a slightly lower handlebar position.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
i have4 different bikes all with different geometry but all have the same saddle and i have the same bike fit for saddle height, set back , reach nd drop to hoods.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Selle Italia SMP seem to cover most things . I have an Adamo on the TT bike but its not that great . Saying that TT's hurt anyway so probably not the saddle . :laugh:
One day i'll get around to putting My Selle saddle on the TT bike but it's just right for the road bike i dont want to move it .

a_w_2019_20_p32a.jpg

I 'share' several bikes, so they need saddles for multiple users. The Bakfiets has a unisex saddle so anyone can ride it, and the other two have gent's gel saddles, basically what we could afford at the time.

My Xtracycle has a Brooks Flyer, because I use it for touring, and because I'll share the others, but that bike is mine.

2019_09_07_siebenmc3bchlental_caitlin_02.jpg

Milzy

Guru
I can’t find any road saddle that’s comfortable. I have put my WTB Volt MTB saddle on the road bike & it is happy days. Not really much heavier either, you’re talking an energy gel or two.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DSK

DSK

Perfect, having read through the replies, I went back to the bike to test the angle of the saddle. I realised that despite the seat looking spot on visually, somehow I managed to raise the nose, despite it looking pretty flat from a visual alignment perspective. :wacko:

Its now tilted down a touch, visually looks no different but, my parts are ache free!

Thank you :notworthy: for the replies, I knew the answer would be within these somewhere.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Selle Italia SMP seem to cover most things .
Saddle manufacturer pedantry time. Selle Italia and Selle SMP are two different makes. SMP make droop nosed split saddles. I use one and I'm a big fan.

Selle Italia also make split (and more traditionally shaped) saddles. But they are a different make.

There's also Selle Royal.

In answer to the OP I have a Selle SMP Trk on both my Brompton and my Spa.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Two Brooks and a Spa Brooks copy on my three bikes.

The Spa saddle is as hard as nails and has not broken in at all, despite spending some time under my weighty backside.

I'm tempted to leave it out in the rain to soften it.

Top Bottom