Dilemma

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnno260

Veteran
Having spent a bit of time over there I would argue that we have a better standard of living, but what we do have is a culture of being screwed over on goods, price inflation as the item is UK bound, virtually all items cost more in the UK than is other countries (broad sweeping statement, but seems to be true)

Many products seem to have the same £ value as the $ example was Apple if it was $999 in the USA it was £999 here.

even though the £ was stronger than the $.

mustang1

Guru
Actually, for anyone who said option A, including me, at what price difference would you choose option B...

£300 difference, £500, £more?

Slick

Guru
Actually, for anyone who said option A, including me, at what price difference would you choose option B...

£300 difference, £500, £more?
I would rather do without than choose option B. I would always use B to get A at least closer in price.

screenman

Legendary Member
Having spent a bit of time over there I would argue that we have a better standard of living, but what we do have is a culture of being screwed over on goods, price inflation as the item is UK bound, virtually all items cost more in the UK than is other countries (broad sweeping statement, but seems to be true)

I think we are all part to blame for that, for a kick off I think we have one of the highest level of statutory paid holidays, our wages are also up there compared with some others.

screenman

Legendary Member
Many products seem to have the same £ value as the $ example was Apple if it was $999 in the USA it was £999 here.

even though the £ was stronger than the $.

Goes to show the cost of bringing things over here, hopefully it will not get worse from November on. I was though pointing out my import costs, not my retail price.

OP
OP
iancity

iancity

Veteran
Thanks for all the replies guys, lots to think about when I read the thread this morning although most seem in agreement with A.

As it turns out, went back to shop A, we had a little chat, and he agreed to knock 10% off the price (£100). A good gesture and well appreciated - they have probably kept me as a customer for life now :rolleyes:

Again, appreciate all those that took time to comment

Sharky

Guru
I've often wondered, when on this forum, we discuss a third party - a guy selling on ebay, a bike shop etc, if the person we are all discussing is also a member on cycle chat. It wouldn't surprise me if shop A was following the discussions and decided to give the discount after seeing the comments.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I think we are all part to blame for that, for a kick off I think we have one of the highest level of statutory paid holidays, our wages are also up there compared with some others.

Too much business regulatory nonsense over here plus the crippling cost of business rates. Sweep away all the unnecessary crap and doing business in the UK would be much cheaper and we as a country would be far more competitive internationally.
Remember when VAT in the UK used to be 8%? Now it's 20% - so everything has had an extra 12% price lumped on it for no benefit whatsoever in terms of product quality or specification.

screenman

Legendary Member
Too much business regulatory nonsense over here plus the crippling cost of business rates. Sweep away all the unnecessary crap and doing business in the UK would be much cheaper and we as a country would be far more competitive internationally.
Remember when VAT in the UK used to be 8%? Now it's 20% - so everything has had an extra 12% price lumped on it for no benefit whatsoever in terms of product quality or specification.

Take that money away and you would have very little public service.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Yes, I remember when VAT was 8%; it was just before Thatcher gained power on the promise of reducing income tax. What she didn't mention was that the reduction in the progressive tax would be balanced by nearly doubling the regressive tax to 15%.:cursing:

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom