Dilemma

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Take that money away and you would have very little public service.

We have very little public services now - but endless amounts of public money wasted on all sorts of worthless nonsense like green energy subsidies, HS2, public sector non-jobs, health service tourism, foreign aid and EU membership. If the government actually spent their money wisely instead of throwing half of it way, it would be quite possible to have relatively low taxation combined with decent public services. You just have to stop people abusing the system, and make sure that those who don't contribute anything, cant get anything for free.

screenman

Legendary Member
So I suppose children, the elderly and this disabled are included in last bit.

Slick

Guru
We have very little public services now - but endless amounts of public money wasted on all sorts of worthless nonsense like green energy subsidies, HS2, public sector non-jobs, health service tourism, foreign aid and EU membership. If the government actually spent their money wisely instead of throwing half of it way, it would be quite possible to have relatively low taxation combined with decent public services. You just have to stop people abusing the system, and make sure that those who don't contribute anything, cant get anything for free.
At least 3 arguably 4 on yor list are nett contributors.

Drago

Legendary Member
HS2 would be fine if they just got on with it. Not a single shovel has been dug into the ground, yet over a billion quid has been spent. What backward tinpot banana republic can spend a billion and have nothing to show for it? Oh yeah, the UK.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Your rail system is already pretty advanced, compared to ours, because we have so many places with too few people living there. So in the States, you have High Speed from Washington to Boston (Acela) and a Midwest Corridor from Milwaukee to St. Louis that see a lot of trains, and the rest of the network is about 2 trains a day until Trump and his Amtrak scrapper Rick Anderson have their way. Political governance for Amtrak will keep Amtrak behind the times and behind the curve for as long as it continues. Because even though a Republican (Nixon) initiated Amtrak (because the private railroads didn't want passenger service without mail contracts) ((and were doing a p*ss poor job of running railroad passenger service, anyway)), every time a Republican administration gets in, Amtrak winds up on the block, in some way shape or form. Your passenger service, although lacking proper air conditioning, is a fine service light years ahead of ours, just as it stands. Of course, Great Britain is about the size of the American States of Illinois, Wisconsin, and Iowa. But the only reason we have decent rail service in the Midwest is because the states of Illinois and Wisconsin themselves fund much of it.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
HS2 would be fine if they just got on with it. Not a single shovel has been dug into the ground, yet over a billion quid has been spent. What backward tinpot banana republic can spend a billion and have nothing to show for it? Oh yeah, the UK.

Some idiot who enjoys spending other people's money has got too hung up on very high speed capability, and this is primarily why HS2 is so mind-blowingly expensive. The UK is a small country, we don't even need ultra high speed trains as a few minutes time saving is neither here nor there. What we do have is overcrowding, lack of capacity, and a lack of punctuality and reliability. The solution to those problems is not HS2 in it's current form; it's sorting out all the bottlenecks in the system, ensuring enough rolling stock availability, and maintaining the track & signals so things aren't constantly failing and causing delays.

alicat

Legendary Member
What are the Pacers?

Trains that have a bus body and seating and have an unpleasant ride and smell. You'll know if you've been on one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacer_(train)

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Ah, I assumed it was an American thing which is why I asked. Scotrail still operates some old trains on shorter routes at busier times, I'll need to check next time to see if its a Pacer or not.
Last time I heard, Pacers were still in the north and west of England. Last time I saw some Scotrail video, it was mostly newer things, Super Sprinters, AT200, HST, 334,380,318, 320, 170. But a lot of my info might be old,
I was planning to take a trip to Chicago later in the year, will post when it happens.

alicat

Legendary Member
I went on one from Shrewsbury to Telford on a Transport for Wales train a few weeks ago. Not nice (in a first world problem kind of way, of course). :sad:

alicat

Legendary Member
I didn't know their name until this thread; however I knew instantly what you must mean @Gravity Aided. Here is a pic of the inside of one. I find them cramped and they seem to smell of something like drycleaning fluid. I don't know if it is that my mind is confused because I seem to be on a bus but it's meant to be a train.

Pacer.jpg

Top Bottom