Dipping my toe into this cycle-camping malarky

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Vango Banshee, for the tent?

I've an older Ultimate Tadpole, which is similar in design and shape. Older materials so slightly heavier than the Banshee.

Last night, I thought I'd give this cycle-camping-touring-bikepacking malarky a go
Bravo! I came late to camping and what was a necessity became a real pleasure. I hope you continue to enjoy it.

I packed up my tourer, cycled 6 miles to a nearby campsite and camped there.
I've done that many a time, although I'll usually take the long way there and zip home early in the morning. There's something about sleeping in a tent that is wonderfully calming and relaxing.

IT'S ENOROUS IF YOU TRY TO PUT IT ON A BIKE
^_^
My first tent was a three person Coleman Tunnel tent that was a monster but solid, secure and never leaked.

@chriswoody is bang on to suggest having a good think about what you need and how you plan to use it.

From my experience the weight given by the manufacturer can be deceptive because more or better pegs may be needed, guylines and groundsheets.
Personally, I prefer two doors for warm nights and a bit of ventilation. One door works ok for one but can be awkward for two, especially with gear in the porch.

I had a Hexpeak 4A tipi tent that was very light and very comfortable for 1 with lots of space for gear. A different inner meant it could be used by 2 but losing the storage space. It used a hiking pole (or a purpose built telescopic one).
There's a bit of a learning curve to erecting it because it doesn't like uneven ground.
What I really liked was its flexibility. In wet or cold weather I could adjust the height of the pole from inside to prevent the fly contacting with the inner.* Similarly, I could leave space at the bottom when I wanted more ventilation or close it off when wet. Lots of videos on YouTube.

* It's a feature of silnylon that it sags when wet or cold. What that means is that in rain or dropping temperature the fly sags towards the inner. The solution is to go outside and retension the guylines.

I've recently bought the Forclaz MT 900 (2 person) (Decathlon) and really can't fault it at all. Mind you I haven't tested it in the rain yet. I like Decathlon and find their no quibble replacement service to be excellent. Its a new concept for me being inner first but I've been enjoying leaving the fly off and falling asleep to the stars.
One thing about Decathlon tents is that the fly, the inner and the poleset are available to buy individually.

I can't vouch for them personally but anytime I've seen a naturehike tent in the wild I've made a point of chatting to the owner. They tend to small (so definitely think +1) but no-one has had complaints. Available only online..

And away on a tangent......
Winter camping can be a real gift! Those long, winter nights, wrapped up warm and cosy listening to the bitter wind outside reading a good book with maybe a flask of hot chocolate or mulled wine (some people even drink tea!^_^) with the rest of the world far, far away can be a great, self spoiling exercise.
(The mornings though can be a bit fresh^_^)

Happy home hunting!

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Last night, I thought I'd give this cycle-camping-touring-bikepacking malarky a go. My boys are away so it was just me. I packed up my tourer, cycled 6 miles to a nearby campsite and camped there. This morning, I packed up, cycled 6 miles into Devizes, got breakfast and then went to church! My friend gave me a lift home!

This was the first time I've camped with a bike and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd planned to take our little 3 man tent but it turns out that IT'S ENOROUS IF YOU TRY TO PUT IT ON A BIKE, so I ended up taking the Tesco beach shelter that has served as my reading corner in my classroom for a year. (I found two pompoms and a paintbrush inside). It worked perfectly (no rain, no wind) although I appreciate it's not a long-term solution.

Other learnings
- my sleeping mat is so useless it's not worth the weight.
- my new front light is pretty cool
- the whole thing was a lot of fun.

So NOW...the question is...do I invest in a bikepacking tent. Two person tent or three? My husband is unlikely to be persuaded to camp AND cycle. He likes both very much separately. Which one, that doesn't break the bank.

Any small, light, 2-person tents recommended?

But the real question though is what happened to the pompoms? ;)

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I think the Vango Banshee 200 would suit you. It's easy to erect and stable, a friend has one. I think they are about £120. I have a Vango Havoc 300 which is enormous and is rock steady in bad weather and I can sit up in it. Tricky to put up in wind on your own though. If I'm not moving on every day, I take this.
If I am moving on every day I have a Saunders Spacepacker, which is simple to put up, but I have to sleep diagonally in it (I'm over 6') and even then my head brushes the inner. It also blew flat once in Scotland.
Whichever tent you choose a good mat is well worth the money. I've recently bought a Trekology UL80, which is a big upgrade in comfort over my old Thermarest.
I only tour in summer really. Getting soft as I get older.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
But the real question though is what happened to the pompoms? ;)

They came home with me so I can use them next term 🤣

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I think the Vango Banshee 200 would suit you. It's easy to erect and stable, a friend has one. I think they are about £120. I have a Vango Havoc 300 which is enormous and is rock steady in bad weather and I can sit up in it. Tricky to put up in wind on your own though. If I'm not moving on every day, I take this.
If I am moving on every day I have a Saunders Spacepacker, which is simple to put up, but I have to sleep diagonally in it (I'm over 6') and even then my head brushes the inner. It also blew flat once in Scotland.
Whichever tent you choose a good mat is well worth the money. I've recently bought a Trekology UL80, which is a big upgrade in comfort over my old Thermarest.
I only tour in summer really. Getting soft as I get older.

Thanks. This is helpful. I shall investigate the Banshee

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Bravo! I came late to camping and what was a necessity became a real pleasure. I hope you continue to enjoy it.

I've done that many a time, although I'll usually take the long way there and zip home early in the morning. There's something about sleeping in a tent that is wonderfully calming and relaxing.

^_^
My first tent was a three person Coleman Tunnel tent that was a monster but solid, secure and never leaked.

@chriswoody is bang on to suggest having a good think about what you need and how you plan to use it.

From my experience the weight given by the manufacturer can be deceptive because more or better pegs may be needed, guylines and groundsheets.
Personally, I prefer two doors for warm nights and a bit of ventilation. One door works ok for one but can be awkward for two, especially with gear in the porch.

I had a Hexpeak 4A tipi tent that was very light and very comfortable for 1 with lots of space for gear. A different inner meant it could be used by 2 but losing the storage space. It used a hiking pole (or a purpose built telescopic one).
There's a bit of a learning curve to erecting it because it doesn't like uneven ground.
What I really liked was its flexibility. In wet or cold weather I could adjust the height of the pole from inside to prevent the fly contacting with the inner.* Similarly, I could leave space at the bottom when I wanted more ventilation or close it off when wet. Lots of videos on YouTube.

* It's a feature of silnylon that it sags when wet or cold. What that means is that in rain or dropping temperature the fly sags towards the inner. The solution is to go outside and retension the guylines.

I've recently bought the Forclaz MT 900 (2 person) (Decathlon) and really can't fault it at all. Mind you I haven't tested it in the rain yet. I like Decathlon and find their no quibble replacement service to be excellent. Its a new concept for me being inner first but I've been enjoying leaving the fly off and falling asleep to the stars.
One thing about Decathlon tents is that the fly, the inner and the poleset are available to buy individually.

I can't vouch for them personally but anytime I've seen a naturehike tent in the wild I've made a point of chatting to the owner. They tend to small (so definitely think +1) but no-one has had complaints. Available only online..

And away on a tangent......
Winter camping can be a real gift! Those long, winter nights, wrapped up warm and cosy listening to the bitter wind outside reading a good book with maybe a flask of hot chocolate or mulled wine (some people even drink tea!^_^) with the rest of the world far, far away can be a great, self spoiling exercise.
(The mornings though can be a bit fresh^_^)

Happy home hunting!

Thank you for such a helpful reply

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
You may want to check out Crazy Guy on a Bike. It is a journaling site where many people list their gear. It might take a little while learning how to navigate but I think it could be helpful building your knowledge.

Thanks! You may find this week’s featured journal on Crazy Guy is moi 🤣

But I hadn’t thought of looking at kit lists. That’s a great idea, thank you.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
We need pics @Cathryn !

Here you go!

1) my Tesco beach shelter
E903EE13-F06B-47C2-B461-B9A07F3F8C45.jpeg

2) Me very happy
C24054AC-91B3-4255-86AD-996B8A1CC4A8.jpeg

3) Heading into Devizes

7A89313F-6984-4E85-A505-DD381B7FEBEF.jpeg

4) Made it to church on time! Grateful both vicars are cyclists!

1B5BFA0A-7F0E-4E00-9F3F-09AF8460981E.jpeg

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
When considering a tent also think about the space you need for your kit and how much you can tolerate. So what I mean is, a two person tent can be nice and cosy for one, plenty of space around you to get changed and to stash your kit. This can easily feel far too small though when you get a second body in there, everyone differs though in how small is too small. Think about height as well, trying to get dressed or undressed from wet clothes, when you can't even sit up straight, is no fun at all.

Think about how the tent goes up as well, many folk prefer to have an outer first construction, so if it's raining, the inner stays dry. Personally I find them to much of a faff and much prefer an inner first construction. I've spent hundreds of nights under canvas and can't remember ever having an issue with rain. Simple construction is also good, the last thing you need when cold, wet and tired is a complex tent to put up, no matter how well practiced you are before hand. Pole section length is another possible consideration, tent fabrics can be folded down and stuffed into any nook and cranny on your bike, no matter how you carry you're kit. Tent poles though only fold down to a predetermined length and dependant on how long that is, it can potentially be a pain to stash on your bike.

As others have said, you really can't go too wrong with Alpkit tents, they have premium tent features at bargain prices. I have an Alpkit Soloist, a lovely built tent and a third of the price of comparably specced tents. The only issue is the door design is pretty poor, but I can live with that for the price. Go too cheap with a tent and you end up with features like glass fibre poles that are heavy and prone to snapping when you least need it and they tend to be heavy unwieldy things.

View attachment 659028

View attachment 659029

View attachment 659030

My Alpkit Soloist, which retails for about 120 pounds, admittedly it is a one person tent, but it just helps illustrate the quality you get for your money.

This is so helpful. Thank you.

Top Bottom