Dipping my toe into this cycle-camping malarky

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
If Mr.C is into camping & cycling, but not at the same time, maybe he could drive the tent to your chosen campsite while you ride there meaning that the size and weight of the tent is irrelevant.
An evening of bbq, wine and enjoyment, then off to church in the morning. You can then decide if you ride or get driven home.

Just a thought..

This morning I can confirm the storm and torrential rain resistance of my Decathlon tent mentioned above ^_^

And @PeteXXX 's idea above is brilliant!

simongt

Guru
Cathryn. I have a Litchfield Hornet two person tent which I no longer use. It's still in very good condition and may suit your needs whilst you work out what's best for the long term. It did well for me until I got old and needed a bit more headroom :laugh:, so now I have a Vango Halo 300. :okay:
PM me if you're interested and maybe I can send it down to you just for the cost of the shipping. :smile:

jay clock

Massive member
i have an MSR Hubba Hubba NX 2 person which is huge for one, fits inside an Ortlieb pannier and under 2kg.. Stealth green and can be free-standing. Pretty much perfect apart from the price. also have a one person for shorter bike packing trips. https://www.elitemountainsupplies.c...lite-1-ultralight-backpacking-tent-2022-p1097

A decent airbed is a must for me. I have a couple of Big Agnes. Being small and light you will cope with smaller versions.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08GS4FPR1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1for
an amazing little pump

this pillow is amazing

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sea-Summit-ULTRALIGHT-PILLOW-REGULAR/dp/B07NH74D9M/ref=sr_1_4?crid=GMUDK3PBQW0&keywords=sea+to+summit+pillow&qid=1661761988&s=sports&sprefix=sea+to+su%2Csports%2C78&sr=1-4
but Decathlon do a much cheaper ultralight one which is good

my learning is to understand your comfort level. if not you will hate it

Jay

chriswoody

Legendary Member

Jay

A brilliant piece of advice, camping really doesn't need to be purgatory. There's so much good gear out there now to ensure you get a good restful nights sleep.

A couple of years ago I purchased a Sea to Summit Aeros ultralight inflatable pillow, it made me question why I'd put up with so many years of waking up with a stiff neck after using rolled up clothing as a pillow.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
@HobbesOnTour you have inadvertently made my camping life so much nicer. The only issue I had with my teepee tent was the heavy centre pole, not the end of the world but annoying. Further up you mentioned telescopic tent poles. Inall my my camping years this had never entered my head nor did I know they were a thing. A 30 mile round trip now the owner of said pole with a nice ride to boot. Hobbes, thank you!

Jameshow

Veteran
@HobbesOnTour you have inadvertently made my camping life so much nicer. The only issue I had with my teepee tent was the heavy centre pole, not the end of the world but annoying. Further up you mentioned telescopic tent poles. Inall my my camping years this had never entered my head nor did I know they were a thing. A 30 mile round trip now the owner of said pole with a nice ride to boot. Hobbes, thank you!

How about going to your local tackle shop and asking for a landing net pole? Telescopic about 4ft long. £10 approx. Find a bolt to suit the end (preferably not fully threaded a cheap coachbolt would be ideal and cut off the head.
I'm guessing 8mm I can measure it once I've drink my coffee!

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
If Mr.C is into camping & cycling, but not at the same time, maybe he could drive the tent to your chosen campsite while you ride there meaning that the size and weight of the tent is irrelevant.
An evening of bbq, wine and enjoyment, then off to church in the morning. You can then decide if you ride or get driven home.

Just a thought..

Maybe she want a break from the family! I do!!!🤣🤣🤣

Jameshow

Veteran
i have an MSR Hubba Hubba NX 2 person which is huge for one, fits inside an Ortlieb pannier and under 2kg.. Stealth green and can be free-standing. Pretty much perfect apart from the price. also have a one person for shorter bike packing trips. https://www.elitemountainsupplies.c...lite-1-ultralight-backpacking-tent-2022-p1097

A decent airbed is a must for me. I have a couple of Big Agnes. Being small and light you will cope with smaller versions.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08GS4FPR1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1for
an amazing little pump

this pillow is amazing

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sea-Summit-ULTRALIGHT-PILLOW-REGULAR/dp/B07NH74D9M/ref=sr_1_4?crid=GMUDK3PBQW0&keywords=sea+to+summit+pillow&qid=1661761988&s=sports&sprefix=sea+to+su%2Csports%2C78&sr=1-4
but Decathlon do a much cheaper ultralight one which is good

Jay

Any think will be palacal compared to the beach shelter!

Delighted to be able to help!

There's one particular video on YouTube (try searching Hexpeak 4a mods) that shows how a guy improved his tipi tent.

Have you figured out where you're going yet?

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member

this pillow is amazing

Jay

Good points, thank you for all the advice (and calling me small and light). My airbed was a total failure so that would need replacing and I did miss a pillow, so that would also be a useful addition for me.

Top Bottom