Dipping my toe into this cycle-camping malarky

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baldy

Über Member
Must admit I've never understood the concern over the height of a tent, particularly if solo. When in a tent I'm pretty much all the time sleeping or reading. Only time it seems to me it might be a concern is if two campers and you want to sit up playing cards. Or have sex.
thinks - maybe tents should be rated for such - possible positions.

If your tent is so low that you can't even sit up in it, you'll find eating difficult it's hard to swallow laying down.

If the weather is so bad, you decide not to cycle on to wherever your heading, being cramped up in a tent the size of a dog knell for the whole day very soon becomes medieval torture.

Even getting wet clothes off and dry ones back on becomes a contortionist's act when you can't rase your body more than two feet off the ground.

Petrichorwheels

If your tent is so low that you can't even sit up in it, you'll find eating difficult it's hard to swallow laying down.

If the weather is so bad, you decide not to cycle on to wherever your heading, being cramped up in a tent the size of a dog knell for the whole day very soon becomes medieval torture.

Even getting wet clothes off and dry ones back on becomes a contortionist's act when you can't rase your body more than two feet off the ground.

I don't tend to eat hot food in a tent.
You can always rig up a tarp for extra shelter.
I have changed, and slept with, wet clothes in a Snugpak Ionosphere.

This:
https://www.snugpak.com/ionosphere

It wasn't actually that hard.

ionosphere_main.jpg

Jameshow

Veteran

Isn't that what a pub is for!

My rule is rain go to the pub.

Dry get a meal deal or chips etc.

Except in the recent heatwave where a cider in a pub was wonderful!

But at the end of the day a proper pub meal takes some beating! And tbh much cheaper than petrol at the pump!!

Jameshow

Veteran
Must admit I've never understood the concern over the height of a tent, particularly if solo. When in a tent I'm pretty much all the time sleeping or reading. Only time it seems to me it might be a concern is if two campers and you want to sit up playing cards. Or have sex.
thinks - maybe tents should be rated for such - possible positions.

What's the chance if that happening? Zilch!🤣🤣🤣

cwskas

Über Member
I am not a newbie to camping, but certainly to cycle-camping. I chose to purchase an inexpensive 2 person tent to start. I may try other options in the future. It was not a blind choice, I have 2 grandsons who each have this tent. It is lightweight and has several features that I find useful. This is a picture from the internet, I could not find one of my tent without the fly on.

tent-hooks-poles.jpg

The poles are attached via clips, instead of threaded through sleeves in the fabric. This is so quick and easy that I dont think I will ever get another tent which does not use this method. It also helps keep the rain fly separated from the inner.

Lots of ventilation - a must here in Texas. The top half is mesh. I realize this is therefore more likely to get torn, but it has worked out for me. I have slept in it without the rain fly in order to maximize airflow and one night using the rain fly when there was frost on the ground the next morning. It was about 20 degrees warmer inside the tent. (I like details, so carry a small outdoor thermometer in my tent bag.)

2 doors, one on each long side. With the fly on, I use one for entry, to put my shoes and any other item that I dont want inside. I can if desired put all of my bags under the other side and still have access if I can't seem to find something. While I think this is a bit of anxiety on my part, I also figure if I wake and there is a snake or other creature taking refuge on the entry side, I have another option.

Once after a cold night, I was breaking camp with the 9x9 tent I use when car camping and found a rattlesnake under the floor of the tent on one side. I used a stick to lift it and drop it over a nearby fence. It was below freezing and the snake could barely move.

Last edited:
Once after a cold night, I was breaking camp with the 9x9 tent I use when car camping and found a rattlesnake under the floor of the tent on one side. I used a stick to lift it and drop it over a nearby fence. It was below freezing and the snake could barely move.
@cwskas , the thread title refers to dipping a toe into cycle camping...... Not into a rattlesnake^_^

Maybe not the best thread to be painting vivid images of all the scary things out there! ^_^

I may never go back to Tx! ^_^

Jameshow

Veteran
I am not a newbie to camping, but certainly to cycle-camping. I chose to purchase an inexpensive 2 person tent to start. I may try other options in the future. It was not a blind choice, I have 2 grandsons who each have this tent. It is lightweight and has several features that I find useful. This is a picture from the internet, I could not find one of my tent without the fly on.

The poles are attached via clips, instead of threaded through sleeves in the fabric. This is so quick and easy that I dont think I will ever get another tent which does not use this method. It also helps keep the rain fly separated from the inner.

Lots of ventilation - a must here in Texas. The top half is mesh. I realize this is therefore more likely to get torn, but it has worked out for me. I have slept in it without the rain fly in order to maximize airflow and one night using the rain fly when there was frost on the ground the next morning. It was about 20 degrees warmer inside the tent. (I like details, so carry a small outdoor thermometer in my tent bag.)

2 doors, one on each long side. With the fly on, I use one for entry, to put my shoes and any other item that I dont want inside. I can if desired put all of my bags under the other side and still have access if I can't seem to find something. While I think this is a bit of anxiety on my part, I also figure if I wake and there is a snake or other creature taking refuge on the entry side, I have another option.

What tent is this??

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I on the other hand would advise against it.
Granted, its well made. Mine survived a night of hurricane force winds (literally) however, its an absolute pain in the rear end to pitch. Getting both the outer taught enough to not sag whilst keeping the inner taught enough to not sag is mission impossible. Getting dressed in there requires a level of bendiness reserved for acrobats and keeping the door open without it sagging and flapping all over the place is also difficult. Burnt a hole in mine due to that. It's been buried in the back of the camping cupboard never to be seen again for its faults and awkwardness.

And on a third hand I've got one and have none of the those problems, although being a short bloke probably helps that a lot.

Isn't that what a pub is for!

My rule is rain go to the pub.

Dry get a meal deal or chips etc.

It's nice to have the flexibilty of camping away from easy food sources. So for people who are doing that, yes, adequate room to sit-up while eating is a very nice thing to have.
It's also nice for getting in/out of clothes - not essential of course, but I doubt you'd find anyone that doesn't find it easier. I've used tents of both types!

Tenkaykev

Guru
I walked in to Wimborne earlier today and saw this chap pushing his bicycle. I wanted to strike up a conversation with him as I love hearing peoples stories, I said a cheery Good Morning to him as I passed, but he didn’t respond.

C5847431-890A-4384-B24C-94A7DC2EF64B.jpeg

simongt

Guru
Judging by what looks like a fishing rod on the back of the bike, he'd probably never stop talking about the one that got away - ! :laugh:

Top Bottom