Dipping my toe into this cycle-camping malarky

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Depending on how local or easy to get to it is, I'd recommend Jerusalem Farm (farm in name only) in Mytholmroyd nr Hebden Bridge if you fancy wild camping without the wild part.
It's a country park that the local council allow camping on for under a tenner. The only facility on the actual pitch area are 2 water taps. No cars are allowed (they can't even access it) on the camp ground. Toilets, wash areas for dishes and showers (free but require a lock code from the warden) are located at the entrance where you can park (if in a big smelly car). The actual camp area is down a steep hill onto a naturally rolling valley with a river running beside it. The grass being cut regularly and some bench's are the only indications that it is a kept site. On the opposite side of the river which can be crossed via stepping stones or a bridge there's a nice woodland trail running the length of the site and a small play area within the woods for kids.
A short-ish walk up the lane brings you to Bob's Tearoom who serve both an indoor and outdoor seating area with various drinks and cakes. CAKE! There's a small shop if you need supplies in the village (can't remember it's name but it's on the bus route).
Getting to the site is along some seriously steep narrow lanes. Make sure you pack your climbing legs.
The other half and I go whenever we can as we absolutely love it.

Attachments

• IMG-20221002-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20221002-WA0006.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG-20221002-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20221002-WA0007.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG-20221002-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20221002-WA0005.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG-20221002-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20221002-WA0003.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG-20221002-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20221002-WA0000.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG-20221002-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20221002-WA0004.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 9

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Depending on how local or easy to get to it is, I'd recommend Jerusalem Farm (farm in name only) in Mytholmroyd nr Hebden Bridge if you fancy wild camping without the wild part.
Strictly - near Mytholmroyd, near Hebden Bridge.

Funnily enough, I used Jerusalem Lane last week in my 'Name That Road' challenge!

A short-ish walk up the lane brings you to Bob's Tearoom who serve both an indoor and outdoor seating area with various drinks and cakes. CAKE!
That's one tearoom that I didn't know about! I think it must be fairly new. I remember there being a farm up there, but I think it is a couple of years since I have been to Jerusalem Lane.

There's a small shop if you need supplies in the village (can't remember it's name but it's on the bus route).
Midgley!

Getting to the site is along some seriously steep narrow lanes. Make sure you pack your climbing legs.
An easier (though still lumpy) alternative is to start from Hebden Bridge and go up the Keighley Road to Pecket Well. Avoid at busy times, but fine otherwise.

Turn right in the village and ride through Old Town and on to Midgley along Height Road. My preferred route then is to turn left in that village and take Thorney, High House, Dry Carr lanes to where Bob's Tearoom now is at the top of Jerusalem Ln, then down the lane to Jerusalem Ln camp site. Great views of Luddenden Dean

In sunshine:

Sunny view of Luddenden Dean.jpg

Luddenden_Dean_in_sunshine.jpg

The traffic up there is awful however, as you can see from this photo... :whistle:

Luddenden_Dean_traffic_jam.jpg

An easy way back to Mytholmroyd and Hebden Bridge from the camp site is to ride through Booth past the fantastic Oats Royd apartment complex (restored from a huge burned out mill), then drop down to Luddenden Foot. You can get onto the flat Calder Valley Cycleway and Rochdale canal towpaths at Luddenden Foot.

Last edited:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
That's one tearoom that I didn't know about! I think it must be fairly new. I remember there being a farm up there, but I think it is a couple of years since I have been to Jerusalem Lane.
Been open a few years Colin. We've not been the last year or so but last time we did, they were only open on weekends. Still a working farm. Every time we go there's more improvements. Brilliant place.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
My 'bikepacking' tent is Highlander Glen Orchy 2 person... about £40.
Like most two person tents, it's only really suitable for one person.

Pros: Packs up nice and small, lightweight, quick and easy to put up, has two doors so you're not boiled out at 6am in the middle of summer.
Cons: Pitches inner first so not ideal if its raining. No porch to speak of, so not ideal if it's raining and you want the door open.

For the price, it ticks enough boxes for me.

classic33

Leg End Member
It's a country park that the local council allow camping on for under a tenner. The only facility on the actual pitch area are 2 water taps. No cars are allowed (they can't even access it) on the camp ground. Toilets, wash areas for dishes and showers (free but require a lock code from the warden) are located at the entrance where you can park (if in a big smelly car). The actual camp area is down a steep hill onto a naturally rolling valley with a river running beside it. The grass being cut regularly and some bench's are the only indications that it is a kept site. On the opposite side of the river which can be crossed via stepping stones or a bridge there's a nice woodland trail running the length of the site and a small play area within the woods for kids.
A short-ish walk up the lane brings you to Bob's Tearoom who serve both an indoor and outdoor seating area with various drinks and cakes. CAKE! There's a small shop if you need supplies in the village (can't remember it's name but it's on the bus route).
The other half and I go whenever we can as we absolutely love it.
Luddenden Dean/Dene, or has it been moved?

ColinJ

Been open a few years Colin. We've not been the last year or so but last time we did, they were only open on weekends. Still a working farm. Every time we go there's more improvements. Brilliant place.
I have a friend in Hebden Bridge. She isn't really into cycling but enjoys walking so I'll suggest that we walk up there some time.

That's the one, Luddenden :blush:
Ah, down the hill - yes.

There used to be a small community-run shop in Midgley. I'm not sure if it is still there... Yes - it IS!

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I dunno, coming over here moving things around on folk!

:tongue:

cwskas

Über Member

simongt

Guru
No porch to speak of, so not ideal if it's raining and you want the door open.
Interesting point this. It seems that with so many tents; large and small, that the doorway has a backward tilt, so if it rains :rain:and the door is left open, the porch area and anything in it, gets wet. Such an odd and obvious design flaw. :whistle:

freiston

Veteran
Interesting point this. It seems that with so many tents; large and small, that the doorway has a backward tilt, so if it rains :rain:and the door is left open, the porch area and anything in it, gets wet. Such an odd and obvious design flaw. :whistle:

Some slope more than others - and sloping panels/doors shed rain and wind better when closed. They can also give leeward shelter despite sloping. It seems to me that to design the slope out would likely cause more problems than it solves. I can only think of doing it by either using an extended canopy (which some larger tents already do) - but this would require more poles, more material (which is probably why they're uncommon on smaller lightweight tents) and possibly compromise bad weather performance. Sloping the door the other way would effectively be an over-engineered version of a canopy and have the same problems. A vertical door imho would compromise bad weather performance and offer minimal rain protection over current sloping designs.

ColinJ

A short-ish walk up the lane brings you to Bob's Tearoom who serve both an indoor and outdoor seating area with various drinks and cakes. CAKE!

I have a friend in Hebden Bridge. She isn't really into cycling but enjoys walking so I'll suggest that we walk up there some time.
We walked up there today. You were right about Bob's place - fantastic! 3 huge slabs of different types of cake plus 3 large coffees for £15. Bit damp and chilly today but the outdoor seating is covered over so that was okay. We can stop there on my next Hebden Bridge ride, in the spring.

Jameshow

Veteran
We walked up there today. You were right about Bob's place - fantastic! 3 huge slabs of different types of cake plus 3 large coffees for £15. Bit damp and chilly today but the outdoor seating is covered over so that was okay. We can stop there on my next Hebden Bridge ride, in the spring.

I attempted to go there but it was a freezing day with the sun low in the sky, by the time I got to bingley a sleet storm hit so I bottled it and rode round the moor.
I'll save it for better weather or even a camp over with my new tent!!

Top Bottom