Dipping my toe into this cycle-camping malarky

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I like this thread, am really tempted to try it myself but am a bit chicken for new adventures.
Had previously been looking at a potential wild camping trip, but again need a push to go do it...

Interesting reading.

Wild camping can be a bit stressful at first.
You could take the "easy" way and use a campsite just to build up some confidence.
Or, if you know any farmers ask them if they have a spot for you.
I've done the latter to test out my winter camping setup in advance of a big trip. My friend set up speakers in a tree and pumped out wild animal sounds all night to create as authentic an experience as possible^_^

Good luck!

Jameshow

Veteran
Wild camping can be a bit stressful at first.
You could take the "easy" way and use a campsite just to build up some confidence.
Or, if you know any farmers ask them if they have a spot for you.
I've done the latter to test out my winter camping setup in advance of a big trip. My friend set up speakers in a tree and pumped out wild animal sounds all night to create as authentic an experience as possible^_^

Good luck!

Also going to places where wild camping is common like up to Yorkshire dales / Scotland or down to Devon and Cornwall...

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
It's like a lot of things. You can think up loads of reasons not to do something (I'm included in this, I am the world's biggest procrastinator) but sometimes you just have to give it a go. Loads of good advice on this thread, I especially like the ones about taking it easy at first and using campsites or YH's.
What I love about cycle camping is the feeling of being like a snail with your home on your back, so you can stop or not, wherever you feel like it.

You can think up loads of reasons not to do something (I'm included in this, I am the world's biggest procrastinator) but sometimes you just have to give it a go.
That's very true. Sometimes the biggest stumbling blocks are the ones between our ears.

I've found, sometimes, that setting a(n artificial) deadline can help......

So right now it's early September, a long, cold, dark winter is around the corner but there's still time to knock that first wildcamp off the list, to stick something in the "achievement" locker.

If it goes well, then there's all winter* to congratulate yourself and think about where to go in the Spring because now the world is that bit bigger, and if it goes not so well there's a few lessons to be learned and a second chance next year. What's the worst that can happen?

I've found that often the "silly" things that we want to do can be the most rewarding when we finally achieve them.

So my suggestion to anyone wanting to have a go is to give it a shot. Pack a treat for yourself and once safely wrapped up in the tent/tarp/bivvy take a moment to reflect on what you've just achieved!

Good luck!

*Personally, I'm a fan of a good winter camp but I wouldn't be suggesting it to everyone! ^_^

Petrichorwheels

I am not a newbie to camping, but certainly to cycle-camping. I chose to purchase an inexpensive 2 person tent to start. I may try other options in the future. It was not a blind choice, I have 2 grandsons who each have this tent. It is lightweight and has several features that I find useful. This is a picture from the internet, I could not find one of my tent without the fly on.

The poles are attached via clips, instead of threaded through sleeves in the fabric. This is so quick and easy that I dont think I will ever get another tent which does not use this method. It also helps keep the rain fly separated from the inner.

Lots of ventilation - a must here in Texas. The top half is mesh. I realize this is therefore more likely to get torn, but it has worked out for me. I have slept in it without the rain fly in order to maximize airflow and one night using the rain fly when there was frost on the ground the next morning. It was about 20 degrees warmer inside the tent. (I like details, so carry a small outdoor thermometer in my tent bag.)

2 doors, one on each long side. With the fly on, I use one for entry, to put my shoes and any other item that I dont want inside. I can if desired put all of my bags under the other side and still have access if I can't seem to find something. While I think this is a bit of anxiety on my part, I also figure if I wake and there is a snake or other creature taking refuge on the entry side, I have another option.

Once after a cold night, I was breaking camp with the 9x9 tent I use when car camping and found a rattlesnake under the floor of the tent on one side. I used a stick to lift it and drop it over a nearby fence. It was below freezing and the snake could barely move.

you going to tell us what this marvel is?
It sounds kinda similar to the Robens Lodge 2 in several ways.
And that's an excellent practical tent.

need to check no-one's around if you exit the tent for a furtive middle of the night P.

I really hope that you're not suggesting wild peeing in a campground? :ohmy:

It'll be a wonder if anyone takes up camping after that lovely description:sad:

I recall meeting one jackass in a campground and have never felt threatened by rampaging cars. Bug eyed spiders, yes, but not cars.
Once (Strasbourg) I asked for (and received) a refund after seeing my muddy pitch and not liking the company. I wild camped in a forest out the road instead.

A little wandering, maybe a little chatting and a dollop of common sense should prevent most of the issues you've highlighted.

On the other hand, I've been offered food, cold drinks, a table & chairs, lots of chats and oodles of general Goodwill in lots of places.
As you've often advised me, perhaps you should just relax?

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Very late to the party, but I'm so happy to see this post ^_^. What's taken you so long?!

After complaining for years that the poles on the tent I took on my big trip were too long for my rack, I found this Alpkit tent which solved the problem. I was very happy with it on my recent Spanish tour.

Will The Dude want to join you? If so, you'll likely need a 3 person tent.

Petrichorwheels

I really hope that you're not suggesting wild peeing in a campground? :ohmy:

It'll be a wonder if anyone takes up camping after that lovely description:sad:

I recall meeting one jackass in a campground and have never felt threatened by rampaging cars. Bug eyed spiders, yes, but not cars.
Once (Strasbourg) I asked for (and received) a refund after seeing my muddy pitch and not liking the company. I wild camped in a forest out the road instead.

A little wandering, maybe a little chatting and a dollop of common sense should prevent most of the issues you've highlighted.

On the other hand, I've been offered food, cold drinks, a table & chairs, lots of chats and oodles of general Goodwill in lots of places.
As you've often advised me, perhaps you should just relax?

holy mackerel batman.
I liked your post.
I was agreeing, that concerns about wild/free camping should be set aside. And put in context.
and just pointing out that there CAN (no more than that) be concerns about the primary alternative.
I was not (maybe you assumed it for some odd reason) referring to P-ing in the middle of campsites, but I plead guilty to a few times P-ing in hedges on campsites - I choose my spots carefully.
I see nothing wrong with it.
I would no more P in the middle of a campsite than indulge in water sports there with a camping companion.
While the court is in session, I would also like to prostrate myself before it and admit that I have also been guilty of P-ing in bushes in the middle of bike rides. More than once. Quite regularly.
Seems entirely normal to me.
I have also known folks of all genders do it.
But maybe you don't

But since you remind me, for context, another plus of wild/free - less nervousness on awaking from a wildcamp and unzipping the door wondering if your bike is there - and before you go off on one, no I'm not suggesting that campsites are normally the playground of bolt cutter ruffians, though I have known locked bikes nicked.

Enjoy your cyclecamping Cathyrn, however you do it - loved the comment above about how it makes you feel like an independent snail.

The ultimate relaxation. Even if you feel pleasantly exhausted at the end of the day.

How's this for a campsite....
I have my own table and chairs, my own stone sink, a screen to offer shade from the sun, an electrical point (two actually!), decent Wifi and a private bathroom & shower.

There's a separate place to do laundry and a bar and restaurant (as well as a small shop) on site.
^_^
IMG_20220927_203851.jpg

Top Bottom