Dipping my toe into this cycle-camping malarky

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Very excited - I ordered myself a bike-packing tent tonight. My class parents got me a very generous John Lewis voucher for Christmas. I have eschewed handbags and glad rags and bought myself a Vango Soul 200. It's not quite as light/compact-when-packed-away as I would have entirely liked but it's basically a 'free' starter tent. If I love bike-packing and do it regularly in 2023 (and find this tent not quite ideal) then I shall invest in a better/lighter one, but I'm thrilled to bits to have this coming my way.

I got the 2 person version in case my son wants to come with me. He probably won't, but I have a 1-person inflatable kayak languishing in my garage. I never use it because I don't want to kayak alone. I didn't want to make this mistake twice.

(Anyone want a bargain kayak?)

Jameshow

Veteran
Very excited - I ordered myself a bike-packing tent tonight. My class parents got me a very generous John Lewis voucher for Christmas. I have eschewed handbags and glad rags and bought myself a Vango Soul 200. It's not quite as light/compact-when-packed-away as I would have entirely liked but it's basically a 'free' starter tent. If I love bike-packing and do it regularly in 2023 (and find this tent not quite ideal) then I shall invest in a better/lighter one, but I'm thrilled to bits to have this coming my way.

I got the 2 person version in case my son wants to come with me. He probably won't, but I have a 1-person inflatable kayak languishing in my garage. I never use it because I don't want to kayak alone. I didn't want to make this mistake twice.

(Anyone want a bargain kayak?)

Brilliant I brought the same tent!

Was going to get 100 but go outdoors only had the 200 in stock so went with the bigger one for more space! Got a sleeping bag and mat too.

I got the 2 person version

To my mind there's nothing wrong with having a bit of extra space and comfort. In inclement weather it can be a real benefit. I well remember meeting a chap over 4 or 5 nights in France who was in what I refer to as a coffin tent. I'm convinced he was slowly going mad sleeping in the thing. ^_^

Hope you get lots of use from your new toy!

HelenD123

Guru
If my arm wasn't currently still knackered I would offer to come with you and help you break your cycle camping virginity. Hopefully I'll be ready to go once the good weather is here though.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
If my arm wasn't currently still knackered I would offer to come with you and help you break your cycle camping virginity. Hopefully I'll be ready to go once the good weather is here though.

When your arm is fixed, how about we meet halfway (peaks?) and have a weekend of it!

Top Bottom