Disappointing pubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi.
I went out for a quiet beer tonight and thought I would try out a new pub that's been open for a couple of weeks.Its been advertised extensively in the local rag and has had full paged features about its live music that it has to offer. So tonight I thought I would give it a try.
Well what a disappointment.
The place must of had at least 10 doormen all looking like extras from the tv show " you can't pay we'll take it away" Once inside ,the bar had numerous beer taps on display all lit up advertising there drinks but virtually none of them were working.
I do like a Guinness when I go out and even this was not available even though the pump was lit up like a Christmas tree.
In the end ,I settle for a single Jack Daniel's and was flabbergasted when the girl asked £5.50!!!! for it.
As for the two girls behind the bar it was embarrassing to talk to them. They were barely out of school looking at them and didn't leave much to the imagination with there dress sense. As for live music ,it was some elderly gentleman wearing a knitted aaron cardigan playing some sort of rave music streamed from an app off his phone to the loud speakers. A bad experience to.say the least.
From the advertising it gave the impression it was an old school kind of place with live groups playing old school rock music from the 80,s era.
Will I ever go back
,,,Never :=)))

sounds splendid

classic33

Leg End Member
Hi.
I went out for a quiet beer tonight and thought I would try out a new pub that's been open for a couple of weeks.Its been advertised extensively in the local rag and has had full paged features about its live music that it has to offer. So tonight I thought I would give it a try.
Well what a disappointment.
The place must of had at least 10 doormen all looking like extras from the tv show " you can't pay we'll take it away" Once inside ,the bar had numerous beer taps on display all lit up advertising there drinks but virtually none of them were working.
I do like a Guinness when I go out and even this was not available even though the pump was lit up like a Christmas tree.
In the end ,I settle for a single Jack Daniel's and was flabbergasted when the girl asked £5.50!!!! for it.
As for the two girls behind the bar it was embarrassing to talk to them. They were barely out of school looking at them and didn't leave much to the imagination with there dress sense. As for live music ,it was some elderly gentleman wearing a knitted aaron cardigan playing some sort of rave music streamed from an app off his phone to the loud speakers. A bad experience to.say the least.
From the advertising it gave the impression it was an old school kind of place with live groups playing old school rock music from the 80,s era.
Will I ever go back
,,,Never :=)))

p07-1.jpg

U

User482

Help For Heroes banner?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Happily for beer drinkers the few surviving pubs are serving quite decent ale nowadays as long as you can find one where they are serving enough for the barrel to be no older than a couple of days, so that the beer is fresh and bright-tasting.

For food though the situation is dire, all pubs buy their food in microwave-ready portions from Brakes, 3663, Food Service and around here, Ribble Farm Foods. The kitchen technician just microwaves the portion, sticks it under the grill for a few minutes then drops it on a cold plate, where it sits for 10 minutes until one of the serving kids thinks to pick it up and bring it to your table. The sure giveaway is when the selection of vegetables comes in identical white china bowls and is usually undercooked.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I think I would have changed my mind as soon as I saw the bouncers, that would be a huge clue as to what delights were held within.
There was a place near my old house where the joke used to be that the bouncers were there to throw people into the pub.

As for disappointments, places that have five or six handpumps, with everything other than Doombar (or other serviceable, but unexciting brown beer) "off" on the day you walk in would be up there pretty high for me.

Top Bottom