Disappointing pubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

It's your own fault for going to Wetherspoons...
To be fair, a couple of years later we went to another pub for a similar excursion, except it was closed. The second one saw us being asked to leave by the bouncers as my Darling Niece (aged 20) was deemed to be under age and had no ID . She only wanted a soft drink anyway. The third choice was the same 'spoons. I marched up to the qualified door personnel and explained my Darling Niece was with us, old enough to drink and had no ID. They asked to see her facebook page on her phone and her bank card. Such novel two token authentication did the job and we were in. No hats were required to be removed.

Levo-Lon

Guru
This thread still going??

It should have closed down by now and become a shop or housing estate

raleighnut

Legendary Member
This thread still going??

It should have closed down by now and become a shop or housing estate
Yep, they knocked down this place and the empty factories either side,

45e190b3064759c68ec450f568a259f4--leicester.jpg

Guess what they built there, Student Accommodation for the DMU. :cursing:

and yes it was a cycle friendly pub, Mark used to keep the gates locked to the access drive that led to the 'Coach House' at the bottom of the yard and there'd be up to a dozen bikes out there (back in the 80s)

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
A couple of Christmases ago there was a boxing day evening, IYSWIM, excursion to the local Weatherspoons. One of our party was wearing a bobble hat. The bouncer requested that he take it off before entry was permitted. The hat wearer complied, because he's nice like that. After all, he is my Dad, and was 87 at the time.
Last weekend I went to a Wetherspoons and, while security insisted on getting peaked caps taken off by incomers, one of their men was actually wearing a woolly hat. No bobble, though, so maybe that's the crucial difference. I haven't quite figured out what the security threat that bobbles pose could be. Nor peaked baseball-style hats, for that matter, unless there's been a spate of razors in the peaks.

screenman

Legendary Member
Last weekend I went to a Wetherspoons and, while security insisted on getting peaked caps taken off by incomers, one of their men was actually wearing a woolly hat. No bobble, though, so maybe that's the crucial difference. I haven't quite figured out what the security threat that bobbles pose could be. Nor peaked baseball-style hats, for that matter, unless there's been a spate of razors in the peaks.

Could it be so that they can get a nicer photo.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Good company can make up for other failings

I think this is an important point to remember in the context of this thread. Pubs are meant to be sociable environments and I can think of many pretty awful pubs where I've had a good time because of the people I'm with - pubs that I wouldn't dream of going in if I were on my own because I know they'll be disappointing in every respect. Though this is largely down to pot luck if you're in a place you don't know well.

At the Baltic, I found the staff surly and unwelcoming, and there was a clique of regulars who seemed to resent having to shift from their place at the bar to allow other people to get served, but the quality of the beer made it worth putting up with that. We didn't eat there so I can't comment on that aspect of it. Sorry you were disappointed by it!

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
Only one pub here but it is a nice family pub.
Two meals for £11 weekdays.
Good value for money and he keeps a good cellar.

In Lincolnshire, I must have missed that one, come on spill the beans as we are often on the look out for a nice pub lunch.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Living over here pubs are my biggest disappointment. Well, there aren't really pubs, more bars is what I'd call them. There are three issues* I have with almost any bar I go into:

i. culturally, Americans talks much more loudly than British people (not a negative, just a difference). But I don't want to hear about the person (on the opposite side of the bar) and their travails at work. The other problem is that when a bar gets anywhere near full, all the people start shouting more loudly to be the loudest talker in the bar and be heard by their friends and everyone else in the bar. I swear its true. You end up with this cacophony of extra loud talkers so its hard to hear someone next to you.

ii. televisions. Can't seem to have a bar now without there being multiple televisions on. Strangely, usually the volume is turned down or off. In fact I was out last night for a quiet bite to eat with the wife and if there wasn't a blessed tv at our booth. we sat down in. I surreptitiously unplugged it when no one was looking, and even stranger was no one noticed!

iii. my biggest pet peeve: music. Whether live or not, the volume is turned up to 11. And sometimes 12. Bars seem to have this idea that unless it's really loud, the bar must be a failure. The saddest example of this was when I was in a bar (happened to be one George Washington had stayed in) that was the closest I've ever been to an English pub in decor and character. It was really really nice. However in stepped the entertainment who was an acoustic guitar player singer. Even though they were in a small room, he plugged in an amp and had it set to 11. I left as quickly as I could.

* now I could easily be accused of just being an old fart. And I am in my fifties and that description is probably accurate. But you know what? Didn't like loud music when I was a kid either and have always liked to easily listen and converse with someone over a nice drink.

Pubs were one of the three things I really missed when I traveled down under (the others, since you ask, being good telly & newspapers). The better pubs are mediocre at best, and less good ones absolutely horrible. Picture if you will featureless high-ceilinged barns, entirely illuminated by fluorescent tubes, almost entirely occupied by very drunk morose-looking brown-people standing at elbow-high formica 'tables' (no chairs) guzzling from jugs of 'beer' that Asda would be ashamed to sell in their 'supa-valu' range. Just awful.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Big choice of pubs around here, Wetherspoons is our local but it does get busy Friday evenings, so we tend to avoid it, but we have many other pubs within walking distance.:cheers:

screenman

Legendary Member
Spoon in Oakham large Pinot and a pint of Doom £5.75 down the road in a not Spoons £8.45 That I imagine would make a difference for somebody on a limited income.

Top Bottom