Disappointing pubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Let me guess you believe the " freshly home cooked food claim" even thou its in front of you 10 mins after order!!

Nearly everything is boil in a bag or tinned..unless you go to a place that does have a real chef ,cook

Even the ones that do make a song and dance about the food / chef often get a lot of the staples from Brakes or 3663, etc - the steaks might be locally sourced rare breed 28-day aged delights, but that doesn't mean that the chips or veg are of equally impressive provenance.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Living over here pubs are my biggest disappointment. Well, they aren't really pubs, more bars is what I'd call them. There are three issues* I have with almost any bar I go into:

i. culturally, Americans talks much more loudly than British people (not a negative, just a difference). But I don't want to hear about the person (on the opposite side of the bar) and their travails at work. The other problem is that when a bar gets anywhere near full, all the people start shouting more loudly to be the loudest talker in the bar and be heard by their friends and everyone else in the bar. I swear its true. You end up with this cacophony of extra loud talkers so its hard to hear someone next to you.

ii. televisions. Can't seem to have a bar now without there being multiple televisions on. Strangely, usually the volume is turned down or off. In fact I was out last night for a quiet bite to eat with the wife and if there wasn't a blessed tv at our booth. we sat down in. I surreptitiously unplugged it when no one was looking, and even stranger was no one noticed!

iii. my biggest pet peeve: music. Whether live or not, the volume is turned up to 11. And sometimes 12. Bars seem to have this idea that unless it's really loud, the bar must be a failure. The saddest example of this was when I was in a bar (happened to be one George Washington had stayed in) that was the closest I've ever been to an English pub in decor and character. It was really really nice. However in stepped the entertainment who was an acoustic guitar player singer. Even though they were in a small room, he plugged in an amp and had it set to 11. I left as quickly as I could.

* now I could easily be accused of just being an old fart. And I am in my fifties and that description is probably accurate. But you know what? Didn't like loud music when I was a kid either and have always liked to easily listen and converse with someone over a nice drink.

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes pubs with TV screens are awful. The best pubs are the Joseph Holt pubs in Manchester, traditional Victorian places, often with several rooms where you can sit in quiet contemplation or enjoy good-humoured banter while sipping a fresh pint at an affordable price.

MarkF

Guru
Arranged to meet a pal in Ilkley yesterday, 6pm Station Pub. That suggested to me a nice meeting place in one of the North's wealthiest areas, what a friggin dump, t'was like downtown Bratfud, Man U v Newcastle dominating each of the 2 rooms, about 1O people in, 4 teens crammed around one small table (Who I could have cried for), decor not touched since 1985 (IMO), lights strong enough to give me a tan and a some dunderhead hassling me for wearing shorts (I'd been hiking oop Malham) who was lucky his pool cue didn't end up up his arse. Totally bonkers, we went 200 yards away to The Crescent where well dressed people were spending money like it was going out of fashion.

classic33

Leg End Member
Arranged to meet a pal in Ilkley yesterday, 6pm Station Pub. That suggested to me a nice meeting place in one of the North's wealthiest areas, what a friggin dump, t'was like downtown Bratfud, Man U v Newcastle dominating each of the 2 rooms, about 1O people in, 4 teens crammed around one small table (Who I could have cried for), decor not touched since 1985 (IMO), lights strong enough to give me a tan and a some dunderhead hassling me for wearing shorts (I'd been hiking oop Malham) who was lucky his pool cue didn't end up up his arse. Totally bonkers, we went 200 yards away to The Crescent where well dressed people were spending money like it was going out of fashion.
Did you take the pool cue?

screenman

Legendary Member
Local very near us, in 5 visits 1st no beer, 2nd no dry white wine, 3rd no wine glasses ( they were in the dishwasher) 4th the beer was tangy, 5th the landlord screaming at her kids who were going ballistic in the bar, she then just walked out and let the customers get on with it, 6th nobody behind the bar serving as the landlord was out in the beer garden drinking. 7th who knows when they are open, nobody seems to know.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Returning from a walk near Brecon. Signs leading off saying ales and home cooked food. We follow them down a series of narrow lanes. Turned up 45 mins before food stopped being served. They are neither serving food and the beer has run out. Did I want a coke from a tin? We left and made the tortuous drive back to find a decent pub serving food.

Top Bottom