Disaster averted by LBS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fifelad

Veteran
So Mallorca bound on Saturday with the trusty steed new chain, cables, brake blocks, headset, everything running beautifully until about 2 weeks ago the left hand changer was feeling stiff every say 2 times out of 10. LBS owner said it may have to go back to Shimano under warranty as it was not quite right. I thought I would live with it until after the trip but then it got worse about a week ago, sods law ! LBS got me out the poo with an old changer knocking about in the shop. Its a Sora when the faulty one was Ultegra but hey it works and I can cycle for the week. Its just as smooth changing up to the big ring but a less slick going down. I am wondering how quick the style police will notice that on one side I have a cable protruding out from the top of the left changer (Sora) and the right side is concealed (Ultegra) . A example of great service from LBS though. I must admit I was surprised that there is a good chance the changer can be replaced. Anyone else got any frustrating tales of having your preparations wrecked at the eleventh hour ?

Last edited:

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
So Mallorca bound on Saturday with the trusty steed new chain, cables, brake blocks, headset, everything running beautifully until about 2 weeks ago the left hand changer was feeling stiff every say 2 times out of 10. LBS owner said it may have to go back to Shimano under warranty as it was not quite right. I thought I would live with it until after the trip but then it got worse about a week ago, sods law ! LBS got me out the poo with an old changer knocking about in the shop. Its a Sora when the faulty one was Ultegra but hey it works and I can cycle for the week. Its just as smooth changing up to the big ring but a less slick going down. I am wondering how quick the style police will notice that on one side I have a cable protruding out from the top of the left changer (Sora) and the right side is concealed (Ultegra) . A example of great service from LBS though. I must admit I was surprised that there is a good chance the changer can be replaced. Anyone else got any frustrating tales of having your preparations wrecked at the eleventh hour ?
Yeah, I managed to clatter my rear wheel with my derallier last year on a TT training run a few days before a TT. Bent spokes, buckled wheel, wrecked derallier, bust hanger, wrecked chain and a stretched cable. LBS got me on the road again within two days (had to order in the hanger), trued the front wheel aswell, all for a very reasonable £106 including all the parts. Top service (and a valuable lesson learnt in riding big to big under power).

PK99

Legendary Member

My lbs lent me a wheel for the weekend when I broke a spoke the day before my first sportive. The benefits of building a good relationship with your lbs are significant.

huwsparky

Über Member
My LBS wanted £100 for a cassette and chain which I could buy for £55. Also wanted £20 to fit. That's the last time I've been in and I'm really glad as well. As a result I've got the confidence to do any jobs that need doing on my own.

I can understand to some why they are invaluable but it's handy having good knowledge about how bikes work. No reason why anybody couldn't change cables, chain, index gears etc as it's not really very difficult and saves a good amount of money and time of carrying bike around.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
My LBS wanted £100 for a cassette and chain which I could buy for £55. Also wanted £20 to fit. That's the last time I've been in and I'm really glad as well. As a result I've got the confidence to do any jobs that need doing on my own.

I can understand to some why they are invaluable but it's handy having good knowledge about how bikes work. No reason why anybody couldn't change cables, chain, index gears etc as it's not really very difficult and saves a good amount of money and time of carrying bike around.
True, but for me I didn't think I had time to source the parts or straighten the wheel in time for the TT which was the last one in my area for the season. I got a new 105 derallier, decent kmc chain, new hanger, new gear cable, both wheels re-trued, all fitted and gears indexed for £106 in two days! I'd of been flanneling around for a week or more sourcing all the parts (and fitting them) oh and I don't re true wheels with bent spokes!
It obviously helped having one of the workers in the shop as a club member and TTer to boot so he could feel my pain and probably did me a good deal!

huwsparky

Über Member
True, but for me I didn't think I had time to source the parts or straighten the wheel in time for the TT which was the last one in my area for the season. I got a new 105 derallier, decent kmc chain, new hanger, new gear cable, both wheels re-trued, all fitted and gears indexed for £106 in two days! I'd of been flanneling around for a week or more sourcing all the parts (and fitting them) oh and I don't re true wheels with bent spokes!
It obviously helped having one of the workers in the shop as a club member and TTer to boot so he could feel my pain and probably did me a good deal!
Sounds like you did have a good deal to me! If my LBS were good value like yours, no doubt I'd still be using them.

I actually had the exact same thing happen to me but only had the rear wheel bend. Surprisingly managed to get it sorted in an evening but it did take me two days to get the hanger and derailleur.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Sounds like you did have a good deal to me! If my LBS were good value like yours, no doubt I'd still be using them.

I actually had the exact same thing happen to me but only had the rear wheel bend. Surprisingly managed to get it sorted in an evening but it did take me two days to get the hanger and derailleur.
I did a proper job! The derallier was almost bent double and ripped off.
I was actually dreading the bill because they are known to be expensive, so was pleasantly surprised and threw them a tenner if I remember rightly for a drink!

Globalti

Legendary Member
A pal of mine is cycling in Mallorca this week. 107 miles yesterday and he says there are thousands of cyclists there.

Top Bottom