Disc Brakes or Rim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm my experience, removing a wheel with disc brakes and dropping it back in again is more awkward than with other types of brake type, and (from my own experience) the wheel doesn't always sit back exactly where it was.

I've also found there to be pad/disc rub following a ride, particularly when it has been wet. Cars and other vehicles fitted with disc brakes tend to do the same.
Thru axles are meant to help that issue

MSF23

Regular
Yes, you'd think so!

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm 18 stone amd can endo my Tiqgra road bike with rim brakes. Rim brakes can be awesome, or can be terrible. But then disc brakes aren't automatically brilliant either, and there are plenty of mediocre, ever downright dire hydro set ups out there too.

I'd be inclined to eye up discs, but wouldn't consider it a deal breaker if the bike that gives you the biggest trouser tent was rim brake. Overall the NET improvement isn't as big or as consistent as many would have you believe.

Rim wear is indeed the big advantage, but then I've never worn a rim to unusable levels either. My oldest bike is 37 years old and the alloy rims are still likely to outlast me, and probably be of far more interest to collectors than my corpse :laugh:

Last edited:

keithmac

Guru
If my work bike would take hydraulic disc brakes I'd fit them in a heartbeat.

Never had any issues with my Shimano hydraulic brakes until I laid them up unused for 2 years.

Fluid changing is a doddle, the master cylinders are designed to self blead and burp any trapped air out (same as motorcycle m/c's.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Xt hydraulic brakes are the same price as cable Spyres. Personally I find discs far preferable to rim on descents in the rain. I'm a high mileage rider and was going through rims every couple of years plus rim brake performance was never that great in the wet. I find hydraulic have a much better feel as well, modulation is the term. The hydraulics aren't on or off you can vary the braking force a great deal and get a feel for it. Feathering the brakes becomes a real option. Disc brakes are heavier but not by much. Disc brakes bikes can generally allow for wider tyres as well.

si_c

Guru
I'd be inclined to eye up discs, but wouldn't consider it a deal breaker if the bike that gives you the biggest trouser tent was rim brake. Overall the NET improvement isn't as big or as consistent as many would have you believe.

I've recently bought another bike with direct mount rim brakes - it was priced such that I couldn't not buy it and I really like it, boatloads of fun to ride. That being said the difference between excellent rim brakes and good cable discs is huge and the discs are significantly more consistent in all weather. Like you I'm a larger rider and I really notice the stopping power of the disc brakes.

Rim wear is indeed the big advantage, but then I've never worn a rim to unusable levels either. My oldest bike is 37 years old and the alloy rims are still likely to outlast me, and probably be of far more interest to collectors than my corpse :laugh:

I've worn through a set of rims once commuting in all weathers but it's definitely not the norm. I've replaced more disc brake rims as a result of impacts on the wheel than I have rims due to wear. Unless you're riding thousands of miles annually on a single wheelset in terrible conditions it's not likely to be something significant to worry about.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Discs are for life, not just Christmas winter!

I started my disc brake journey back in 2010 and quickly decided that hydraulic tektro brakes were garbage.

I then replaced them with Shimano kit and saw the light. Superior stopping power and close to 100% reliability with zero maintenance, despite never bleeding them and only changing the pads very late in life (often down to the metal). I then fitted all my bikes with Shimano hydraulic brakes and lived happily ever after.....
... until I had to buy a new commuter bike last year and my options came down to a bike with cable disc brakes (Spyres). After hearing all the good reports on the Spyres I decided to take a punt on the cable system. Well, after previously experiencing some dodgy cable disc brakes before this that had made me vow never to own such a set-up, I'm glad I decided to take the chance on the Spyres as they were/are a revelation! Not quite as much initial bite as the hydraulics, but plenty of confidence inspiring grunt as you increase the lever pressure and with good cables (I am using Jagwire compressionless outers and matched inners which are excellent once fitted correctly) they are similar in performance and feel to good hydraulic brakes.
IMO for riding in bad weather and year round commuting discs are the best option and knowing what I know now, good cable or good hydraulic will do the job. Shoot brakes are shoot regardless of type.
The 3 times my hydraulic brakes have been a problem haven't been showstoppers so i wouldn't put anybody off hydraulics unless they were heading off to the deepest sub-continent. Certainly more than suitable for European touring and fixable at the LBS in most towns.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I suppose it's a question of quality as well. It might be that the highest quality rim brakes are superior to budget cable discs. I think my Avid BB7 cable discs were better than my tektro cable discs that came on my carrera

iandg

Legendary Member
TRP Spyre discs. Cable actuated. Best thing. For long distance (audax) and touring these rock.

Anyone who recommends hydraulic for anything other than club rides, trail centre stuff or leisure riding probably still lives with their mum. She’ll come and pick you up when it all goes wrong because they aren’t easily fixed in the field. :okay:

Yeah, miss my mum - my wife would tell me to walk home ^_^

OP
OP
gmw492

gmw492

Veteran
Great feedback , thanks , dare I mention Giant conduct Hydraulic brakes, the bulkhead on the handlebars make it look a mess, but I’m guessing they are the same performance as they are 105 or Ultegra,anyone got views on giants fugly looking system slapped in the middle of the bars ,

Top Bottom