Disc Brakes or Rim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Just ride MTB's 👅
Will it make me pwitty?

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Slightly off-topic but may help the OP - what's so unreliable about hydraulic discs? I've had them on motorbikes, they need a winter service/clean but that's it. Are cycle hydraulic systems much different?

I've had way more confidence in cable discs than I have rim brakes, both wet and dry, but wet in particular

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Slightly off-topic but may help the OP - what's so unreliable about hydraulic discs? I've had them on motorbikes, they need a winter service/clean but that's it. Are cycle hydraulic systems much different?

I've had way more confidence in cable discs than I have rim brakes, both wet and dry, but wet in particular

No issues with SRAM Guide RS or Shimano SLX hydraulics. Fit and forget, and not even dirty when I changed the fluid.

si_c

Guru
I think si_c will think so as he's not been to specsavers ! :laugh:
Pah!:gun:
No issues with SRAM Guide RS or Shimano SLX hydraulics. Fit and forget, and not even dirty when I changed the fluid.
Same, I bled the caliper on my road bike recently still clear. The MTB needed a bleed though a month or so back as the rear brake was spongy until you'd pumped it a few times and what came out was pretty black. First time bleeding hydraulics though and it only took me about 15mins, so not that much longer than changing a cable and outers.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I've had some issues with my Elixirs (until I went from dot 4 to dot 5.1)

I have had no issues with the LX treking brakes I have on the single speed - I even shortened the hoses without the need to bleed them.

They were only supposed to be a stop gap until I could afford something more expensive. Two years on and they are still as good as ever

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The problem for me is that the fork particularly has to be overbuilt to cope with the forces of a disc brake.
Novices & the infirm might find them reassuring.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Plenty of World Tour races have been won by riders on discs, so they can't be that bad.

This debate reminds me of the toe clips v clipless, D/T v STI shifters, carbon v metal etc etc etc. Widespread initial outrage over more-money-than-sense, we don't need them, what if they fail? and so on. A few years down the line most people were happily using them all without issues.

MSF23

Regular
What an interesting (and humorous!) received

Well, I don't think any system is perfect (I know no-one has stated this). My latest file has hydraulic disc brakes. The bike before that, cable-operated disc brakes.I and the oldest one retro-fitted v-brakes (from Deore DX cantilever brakes originally!).

I personally don't think disc brakes are all what they're meant to be. If there is any tiny misalignment, there's a rub. Any slight disc warp: rub. Harder to set up in my opinion because you can hardly see either side of the pads.

My old bike (1991 Marin!) is STILL incredible to ride. V-brakes are massively strong, even now.

D

Deleted member 26715

Harder to set up in my opinion because you can hardly see either side of the pads.
What is there to seup? I've had my MTB 3 years 3K miles & never had to touch them ever. All I do is swill them with clean water to get rid of the mud biuld up when I get back off a ride.

vickster

Legendary Member
Try both. See which suits

However, assuming this is a drop bar bike...hydraulic brifters are a visual and aesthetic abomination. No way I’d ruin the look of a bike with them ;) not even a black one

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Over the past 8-10 years, I have owned three bicycles (all Giant), two with hydraulic disc brakes, one with rim brakes.

Just my personal experience/preference, but, I much prefer the disc brakes. The disc brakes just worked, no messing about required.

MSF23

Regular
What is there to seup? I've had my MTB 3 years 3K miles & never had to touch them ever. All I do is swill them with clean water to get rid of the mud biuld up when I get back off a ride.

I'm my experience, removing a wheel with disc brakes and dropping it back in again is more awkward than with other types of brake type, and (from my own experience) the wheel doesn't always sit back exactly where it was.

I've also found there to be pad/disc rub following a ride, particularly when it has been wet. Cars and other vehicles fitted with disc brakes tend to do the same.

Top Bottom