Disc brakes to be allowed for pro teams - test period

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It does seem that the riders themselves are generally opposed.

I expect the UCI are under commercial pressure to introduce them, so I guess the riders will probably lose this one.

As to what cut Doull's shoe, I'd be inclined to listen to him first. He was, after all, there.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
It does seem that the riders themselves are generally opposed.

I expect the UCI are under commercial pressure to introduce them, so I guess the riders will probably lose this one.

As to what cut Doull's shoe, I'd be inclined to listen to him first. He was, after all, there.
So was fran ventoso at paris roubaix and he was caught talking bovine fecal matter.

Being there doesnt mean being in the know

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
So was fran ventoso at paris roubaix and he was caught talking bovine fecal matter.

Being there doesnt mean being in the know
Equally, having seen nothing but a dusty long shot of some riders going down is pretty poor basis for providing an alternative explanation.

I don't know, but it's pretty clear that the many, perhaps the majority, of riders aren't happy about the introduction. The only reason for it seems to be pressure from the UCI which presumably is driven by pressure from manufacturers.

As it's a commercial pressure my money is not on the riders.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Equally, having seen nothing but a dusty long shot of some riders going down is pretty poor basis for providing an alternative explanation.

I don't know, but it's pretty clear that the many, perhaps the majority, of riders aren't happy about the introduction. The only reason for it seems to be pressure from the UCI which presumably is driven by pressure from manufacturers.

As it's a commercial pressure my money is not on the riders.
Yes, commercial want is driving rider "needs" but give those who don't want disc a chance to speak out and they will, of course.

Example: Fran Ventoso blamed his knee injury at PR on a disc, but of two teams running discs at PR none of the 18 riders were near him nor went down.

Ventoso later published a grovelling "If the team wants me to ride discs I will" statement.

He also implicated discs in an injury to a Quicketep rider, where again none of the riders went down, IIRC it was a Greenedge rider on a rim braked scott who catalysed that particular spill

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'm trying to picture how a disc would cut a shoe without the wheel getting in the way. Or in fact how the sharp edge of a disc can make contact with anything unless you were really unlucky and in some kind of prone position on the ground whereby the wheel went past you but say your shoulder was high enough to be sliced by the passing disc.

If there's a pile up on a down hill and a bike lands on top of you, I can see a nasty burn could be possible.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It wasn't caused by a disc, investigate away :smile:
I admire your certainty from the safety of the keyboard:okay:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
but give those who don't want disc a chance to speak out and they will, of course.
Looks like ony 16% of the peloton are happy:

"All riders were given the opportunity to vote but only at the end of November once the CPA had already agreed to the trial going ahead on our behalf," Froome pointed out. "The results of the vote being 16 per cent yes, 41 per cent no and 42 per cent if conditions were met, which they haven't been, I'm amazed the trial was allowed to go ahead. I'm personally not against the disc brake trial, but I would expect a certain level of safety measures to be put in place first.

Personally I don't care either way. It doesn't make any difference to the racing as a spectacle, except we might see more amusing shots riders flapping their arms wildly as mechanics fluff wheel changes.

Froome: "If a hot blade like that cuts an artery then a rider could be in big trouble," Froome told Cyclingnews. "I hope that we don't get to that point before we stop and take stock."
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chris-froome-disc-brake-debate-shows-riders-are-not-being-heard/
I spoke to Froome about exactly this last year on a ride. He pretty much said that the riders don't have a completely free say on which bikes they are supplied with, but can raise objections to specific bits / parts, if they feel they aren't safe enough. He wasn't a fan of disc brakes on road bikes, but coming from a mountain bike background, sees the point of them / likes them in that application.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Looks like ony 16% of the peloton are happy:

"All riders were given the opportunity to vote but only at the end of November once the CPA had already agreed to the trial going ahead on our behalf," Froome pointed out. "The results of the vote being 16 per cent yes, 41 per cent no and 42 per cent if conditions were met, which they haven't been, I'm amazed the trial was allowed to go ahead. I'm personally not against the disc brake trial, but I would expect a certain level of safety measures to be put in place first.

Personally I don't care either way. It doesn't make any difference to the racing as a spectacle, except we might see more amusing shots riders flapping their arms wildly as mechanics fluff wheel changes.
Ahh but the conditions were largely based on discs having a rounded edge and possibly guards? Shimano discs now have radiused edge and be "round" profiled as per Kittel saying he wouldn't race discs until then.

SRAM though? I dunno

50/50 on topic.

Start of last year on a club run,mate behind me chatting farming and spring lambs with some other eejit along for the ride. Isn't paying attention so ends up riding into the back of me and eating tarmac.

The fall was attributed to me and my disc brake equipped bike. I hadn't used my brakes for miles, and at the time my hands were on the tops.

Just being there on my wheels harmlessly spinning away, minding their own business was enough for anti-disc cries. Apparently the logic flow for an accident where a disc brake might be within a mile is to always blame the disc, who'd have thought?

Last edited:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
None of these scream disc brake issue

IMG_-p7i8jn.jpg
Screenshot_20170223-214603.png
IMG_20170223_204250.jpg

Top Bottom